Making triple tissue/ sticks to table help?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Making triple tissue/ sticks to table help?

Post by roodborst »

Ok, so today I finally bought some bookbindersglue and a big sheet of Plexiglass (plastic glass).
Now I wanted to make some triple tissue.
I apllied glue to the first piece, layed the next sheet on top, rolled with glue again and then did the same for the third. Then smoothend it out with a rolling cartboard thing.
So far, everything went well.

Now I have to get it of the plexiglass. How do I do that? I tried when it was still wet, but the bottom layer is already stuck to the plexiglass, so I ripped my first try to shreds. The second attempt is laying on the sheet as I'm typing this. Should I let it dry first? Should it be even wetter to get it of the plexiglass?

Help please... fast.. before it dries...

EDIT: Already did a quick search, but couldn't find the answer. fast...
Trakthor

Re: Making triple tissue/ sticks to table help?

Post by Trakthor »

Actually I'm making double MC tissue on my huge mirror in bedroom ;)
I don't know how that bookbindersglue behaves, but I let my done with MC dry completly and then there is no problem to getting it of.
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

No, ALWAYS let it dry completely before removing it from the surface. Give it a few hours, maybe put a fan on it. When it reverts to a lighter (no longer saturated) shade you are ready to remove it. It will peel off very easily.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

So last night I let the triple tissue dry, for two hours or so. Maybe not long enough, because it got totally stuck to my plate. Took me over an hour to scrape it of with my nails and to clean the plate of plexiglass.

So should I Iet it dry longer?
My girfriend suggested waxing the table or something, so it wouldn't glue itself to the surface, does that work?

I did however make two good sheets of tissue/foil/tissue/tissue!
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

Two hours isn't usually long enough; 4-6 is better; overnight is best. Regardless, the glue shouldn't be sticking so much to the plexiglass. Are you sure your glue is MC based? I've made double-tissue on plexiglass before and it turned out just fine.
Last edited by Raptorex55 on January 31st, 2013, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Raptorex55 wrote:Two hours isn't usually long enough; 4-6 is better, Overnight is best. Regardless, the glue shouldn't be sticking so much to the plexiglass. Are you sure your glue is MC based? I've made double-tissue on plexiglass before and it turned out just fine.
I'm not nut sure if it is MC based. It says Bookbindersglue, I when I saw it in the store, I thought that I've read on these forums somewhere that it contained MC. It doesn't specify the ingredients on the label.
It is a good glue for making tissue-foil. I've made some great redishbrown color, Glueing orange on purpe. I'll post a picture later. I guess tomorow I'll but some new tissue, because my cat sat on the pile of tissue. Then I tried to chase him of and his nail got caught, and he ripped through 20 sheets... :twisted:
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

If your glue is good for making tissue foil then it's no good for double tissue. MC shouldn't stick to the foil. You might want to check the type of paper your using too. Is it machine manufactured with an already glossy surface or more raw and natural? The glue must be able to permeate the paper.
It's strange though, typically book binding glue is MC. My bottle (powdered stuff) claims its uses are bookbinding, paper repair, and art repair, but it is simply advertised as "Nuetral Ph Pure Methyl Cellulose"
Last edited by Raptorex55 on January 29th, 2013, 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I'm guessing that it is not MC based then. It's not powder, it's white glue, that can be used with water. I'll have to go to a real artsuplly then to get it. This I bought a simple hobby and crafts store. But since I'm out of tissue paper I'll have to take the 1 hour trip to a bigger city anyway to buy some new.
At least I'm really happy with my sheet of plexiglass!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Bought some wallpaperpaste and 40 euro's worth of tissue. Although it will take some practice to make some nice sheet I did managed to make three sheet of triple tissue with the wallpaperpaste, I guess I can still use what's left of the bookbindersglue for the tissuefoil. I let the papers dry while they where hanging from a cabinet, this caused the sheets to rimple, I guess next time I should let them dry on a flat surface.

Making the triple tissue leaves with another question:
Can you wetfold triple tissue? Or does that mess with the glue?
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

It will wet-fold rather well if you are using high quality art tissue.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Illya

Post by Illya »

I use pure MC and usually when I do tripple tissue I create a doudle tissue first let it dry and then apply a third tissue. I will try doing three sheets at a time.

I have also notices that if you put the sheets 90 degrees rotated the paper is stronger because like many other papers the fibers are papalel in the paper. When you put the fibers in two directions it makes it stronger.

Does anyone know if wall paper paste will also work with foil?
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

@ philip: Thanks, i'll try it when I've folded something new with the sheets I made. Although my 20cts (euro) a sheet is most likey not 'high quality' tissue. Bought around 300 sheets last week!

@ Illya: I might try the trick with the paralell fibers. allthough that way I'll have less paper since part of the rectangle sheets go unused.

As for you question: I've read that wallpaper paste/MC does not stick to foil. So far I've been making tissuefoil, but I make 'triple tissue foil' (tissue/foil/tissue/tissue) I suggest using a sprayglue if you want to keep the colors, or use bookbindersglue or something similar. The colors will leak through, making some 'new' colors. In this topic: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10201&start=15 and in my gallery you can see some of the results of different combinations.
Illya

Post by Illya »

The Tissue paper I get is 20 by 20 inches so it makes it much easier to do the rotation of tissue.
I will try tissue foil with spray glue i just need that the weather improves so i can do it outside.