Best Paper for Ancient Dragon

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
KasaiRyuu

Re: Best Paper for Ancient Dragon

Post by KasaiRyuu »

Any papers that require no preperation I can find at a place like Michael's, preferably not an online store too. I'm considering Strathmore 300 19x24in. Tracing Paper, but I'm wondering if it's strong enough. Thanks.
Jiratso

Post by Jiratso »

Tracing paper sound like a good option, but what's the best gsm for it - so far the best I have found is 100gsm.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary code, and those who do not.
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

I've used that exact paper Kasairyuu, it works fantastically for the Ancient Dragon. (Pics On Flickr! The black one) Jiratso, I've never heard of Tracing paper so thick. Usually tracing ranges from 8-24 gsm.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

8-24gsm, really? I've never heard of such a lightweight tracing paper. May it be we are talking about different kinds of paper here? Or did you confuse it with lbs? The ones you get here are around 100gsm or heavier. I think the lightest I've ever seen was 40gsm.
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

Ah, you are correct. Obviously American here. :lol: 8-24 lbs is the general weight I've seen around here. Functionally, the weights perform equally.
SenorTortuga

Post by SenorTortuga »

Double-tissue paper is a fairly popular and cheap way to fold the Ancient Dragon. Just get 2 large sheets of regular tissue paper from some place like Michael's, glue them together with Methylcellulose, cut to a square, and you're good to go. You can try sizing a single sheet of tissue paper too if you want it thinner, but the paper will be quite a bit weaker that way.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

origamido! the best paper for origami. thin and the strongest, read the review here
http://www.happyfolding.com/paper-review_origamido
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

there are a few caveats if one wants to use origamido paper for the ancient dragon.

first of all, the widest paper you can get your hands on is 40 cm. with the deckle edge, that means, if you're careful, the biggest square you will get for your buck is 38 cm. don't be deceived; though the dragon you see on the cover is indeed folded from origamido, its edge was 4 FEET (~ 122 cm). if you insist on an expensive handmade paper, the bottom line is, you are probably better off getting ogami paper. at least this way, you can a 50 cm square easily. with either option, be aware that if you've never worked with them before, they are super thin, as in, so thin you may not be used to it.

a good medium for first try is to tape together four pieces of kami. the final result will not be presentable, but you will get the gist of the model before you try it with something that requires more experience. if you mess up, it's easy to tape together four more pieces and try again.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I also vote for double tissue. Recently I folded Tadashi Mori's Darkness Dragon from the iridescent paper Nicolas Terry sells at http://www.origami-shop.com/en/iridesce ... 4_561.html
It worked like a dream and I plan to fold the Ancient Dragon from this paper as well as I think it is highly suitable. And the best thing it comes in sizes up to 60x60cm :-)
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

bethnor:4 feet? How do u know that?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i visited the paper tree in san francisco recently. they had the original ancient dragon on display there for awhile. the owner said that was the size of the starting square.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

ok :wink:
patate1684

Post by patate1684 »

Somebody have a website on the internet to buy any paper like double tissue or tracing paper for the ancient dragon ?
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

You can buy good paper at origami-shop but they don't have the papers you mentioned above. Tracing paper can be found in many stationery shops but double tissue isn't sold anywhere, you need to make it yourself.
patate1684

Post by patate1684 »

Ok tank you very well