What is Washi?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
blue fish

What is Washi?

Post by blue fish »

While looking for origami paper on websites other than Amazon, I saw that Washi paper is quite popular. I have found it available in the sort pf size I want, but can someone tell me what it actually is? (As in the texture and thickness and stuff like that).
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Re: What is Washi?

Post by chesscuber98 »

The Washi i found here in India is really thin. It has a rough side and a smooth side(which i think shouldnt be there). If its in a pack its probably ready to fold and will give you amazing results. But if its large it may require some preparation. Maybe if you can link it somebody can help you.

I hope i helped.
Ramiel

Post by Ramiel »

I bought some washi from kimscrane.com a while ago. I found it very soft and difficult to work with, as it doesn't hold a crease particularly well. However, the finished model looks nice and the texture is good to work with.
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Washi refers to any paper handmade in the traditional japanese way. Because this means a range of paper, it can be very thin, very thick, very stiff, or very soft. Generally though, it is thick and spongy, almost like fabric. You will probaly have to mc it to be foldable. Hope I helped.
My flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93038503@N06/
My forum gallery. http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11416
Constructive criticism is appreciated as well as encouraged.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I got a few sheets of Origami-Shop's "deluxe washi" for Christmas, and I'm curious whether anyone has experience with it. Do I need to iron it or something?--it seems like the texture would be hard to fold.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Origami_Sunshine

Post by Origami_Sunshine »

Baltorigamist wrote:I got a few sheets of Origami-Shop's "deluxe washi" for Christmas, and I'm curious whether anyone has experience with it. Do I need to iron it or something?--it seems like the texture would be hard to fold.
If we're talking about the same deluxe washi, I don't believe it needs to be treated. It folds nicely and is okay at taking shape, I used it to fold Hojyo Takashi's Wizard a while back. I've been saving my other sheets for "super-special" folds … I should probably get around to using them though, they're quite beautiful.

As for the term "washi", I learned pretty much exactly what Eamon said. I bought "washi" paper from a local shop that sells paper for all kinds of uses, and it's quite soft like a fabric. Haven't tried it yet, but for sure I'd have to MC it or perhaps glue it to foil. (Been putting off trying it because I have lots of unryu & mulberry from origami-shop, which I'm more familiar with using.)

Wizard (Hojyo Takashi) by OrigamiSunshine, on Flickr
My Flickr -- Please come take a look!
- Teddies are awesome. -
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Alright, but it seems like you're saying two conflicting things. You said that the paper wouldn't need to be treated, but Eamon said it has to be MCd. Unless the foil side holds the creases...

Awesome fold btw. I've actually never seen that model before.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Origami_Sunshine

Post by Origami_Sunshine »

Ah yes, I can see how it's a bit confusing :) I originally just mean to reply to you, but then I realized the original post was simply "what is washi?".

So like Eamon and I said, washi does have to be MC'ed.
But for this "deluxe washi", the metallic layer acts a bit like foil and so it works without applying MC. As for the paper side (red in my pic), it's not quite "fiber-like" as the washi I've seen, it's more like paper with an interesting texture to it (like a crumpled texture). So I wonder if the name deluxe washi is perhaps the best description -- sure sounds cool, though.
My Flickr -- Please come take a look!
- Teddies are awesome. -
abnyc

Post by abnyc »

Washi does not have to be MC'ed, but it can be if you want.

Washi is the generic term for "japanese paper" (wa + shi), and is usually made of kozo. Washi is named based on its provenance, and there are many kinds because there are many paper-makers.

I actually prefer to fold untreated washi, though for some models other paper is more suitable. It is (often) thinner than Tant, closer to kami, but is very strong. It often has a fabric-like feel due to the kozo fibers, but only some washi is thick and soft as described above. Most washi I have encountered is thin and crisp, with one side soft and fibrous, and the other side smooth.

Two kinds of washi I use regularly are Hosokawa (aka Ogawa) and Mino-Washi.
marckrsh

Post by marckrsh »

The washi I used recently was of the fluffy variety, and MC did not seem to help it retain its shape too well. PVC type glue on the other hand worked remarkably well. I only added it after folding to key points, and I noticed I could even add it on to the visible surface, and it would dry clear without any residue!