Double Tissue MC, going nuts trying to peel it off

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
desuwulf

Double Tissue MC, going nuts trying to peel it off

Post by desuwulf »

I've been trying to do double tissue paper MC paper ... and everything goes well until I try to peel it off
I'm doing it on a smooth transparent glass table(which would seem to be ideal).
At first I thought it might be the tissue paper was of bad quality... but after trying 3 other brands, same thing.
Then I thought it might be the amount of glue/the thickness of it.
So I tried very thin, I tried very thick, I tried coating every layer first, etc.
It all looks fine, dries uniformely, and when I try to take it off, it just sticks to the table. Like really glued to the table. I tried using very thin blades, get the corner off, but then it just rips even when I go very very slowly...

Could it be the glue? The glue says it's a starchy MC wallpaper glue, could it be the wrong kind of glue?
I can't think of anything else I'm doing wrong right now...
phillipcurl

Re: Double Tissue MC, going nuts trying to peel it off

Post by phillipcurl »

Hey, welcome to the forum!
Have you tried diluting the product yet? you want your MC to be a sizing, not a glue. Try adding a teaspoon of water at a time to the solution, and trying it out. you don't want it to be thick, just slightly more gelatinous than water. Also, try putting a thin piece of plastic between the paper and glass, it will help to pull it off if it is sticking.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
desuwulf

Post by desuwulf »

Ok, I think I might have found the way to do it.
Basically I did another batch this night and I'm finding that if I use a thin but rigid dull plastic flat bit, I can start from the corner where I have a piece of paper and go around a full border(or two even).
Got to lift the whole thing now. I'm just slightly worried as the MC seems to not have "fused" the sheets together(ie, I can separate them in some points)
fncll

Post by fncll »

Think: the consistency of egg whites. If you are using a glue that is already pretty "liquidy," try diluting it some more. With the liquid wallpaper glue I've tried it took more water than I thought and it worked just fine...
desuwulf

Post by desuwulf »

thanks. Currently continuing to expirement with thinner and thicker mixes. I am sometimes getting some that peel almost entirely fine, and sometimes some that I just have to soak in water again to remove.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Try making it on backing parchment, which is paper imbedded with silicone. Not much sticks to it.
desuwulf

Post by desuwulf »

I might have found the reason: the glue.
Apparently there's tons of starch based glue that are very low on MC. I'm going to try to procure much purer MC and see if it makes a difference.

On the bright side, at least doing over and over again the process, I've figured a way to really apply the foil in an almost wrinkle&bubble free way:

- I cover the glass with MC
- I roll the first sheep on a roller
- unroll it while having as much of it touch the glue as possible, with wrinkles, it's ok. I leave about 2cm untouched at the end
- I reroll that layer on the roll very carefully and slowly by using the untouched 2cm as start. It doesn't tear if you do it very carefully AND lift at the same time properly
- reunroll it, but this time it has already expanded so you can get it to apply almost perfectly to the table
- spend a couple minutes brushing out remaining air bubbles

At this point, I repeat that with the second sheet, but using a second wetting glass.
Sometimes I actually want a little wrinkles for texture, and I just unroll the second layer on top of the first one directly. It gives very nice homogeneous non-bubbly results.
desuwulf

Post by desuwulf »

Just to update this as I updated the other topic. This was definitely the quality of the glue. Switching to pure MC(alimentary one) actually transformed the whole experience. With proper MC, I barely have to lift and everything comes off.