MC tissuefoil disaster

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
CaddoMoney

Re: MC tissuefoil disaster

Post by CaddoMoney »

Thank you all for help in clearing up the adhesive issue - I'm going to try the diluted white glue method this weekend and report back my findings.

I greatly appreciate the help and explanations.
Ramiel

Post by Ramiel »

Why not just use the terry tissue foil alone? I and many others have had very good results with it. The paper is already thicker than printer paper on its own, and works very well so I don't see the point of adding something to it.
CaddoMoney

Post by CaddoMoney »

It's because I'm trying to get a two toned piece of terry tissue foil paper...
CaddoMoney wrote:Great question - see above...
CaddoMoney wrote:I'm trying to get a piece with green on one side and brown on the other so I can make an origami Yoda seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5B71d1OR_M
This paper is the same kind of paper that Jo Nakashima provides in the links on the video. So I know that it's possible to fold. I just had subpar results trying to get the two pieces to stick together with MC. Either MC doesn't work with this kind of tissuefoil or it needs to be mixed stronger than the directions.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Another way of getting the back side different coloured would be to paint it. I've had good results painting paper by mixing some acrylic paint with MC and applying it with either a brush or a painters roll.
onlinepanache

Post by onlinepanache »

My tissuefoil disaster:
I glued and tried to smooth out the creases and bubbles.. ended with this! Making tissuefoild does require a great deal of patience... and the right TOOLS. I did it just with my bare hands and a pair of scissors.
http://origami-clothing.blogspot.co.uk/ ... paper.html
CaddoMoney

Post by CaddoMoney »

Per suggestions in this thread, I mixed white glue and water in a 1:1 ratio, painted it onto the paper and applied the second sheet. After squeezing out the bubbles and letting it dry, the paper stuck together unlike my experience with the MC.

I folded the terry tissue foil + camel natural tissue paper and it came out pretty well.

I'm going to attempt to fold the terry tissue foil + terry tissue foil later this week or this weekend. It does seem thick but workable.

The next time I'm going to try Anna's suggestion of mixing acrylic paint with the MC and see how that works out.

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

@onlinepanache:
I can really recommend you Sara Adams' video on this subject. She's giving a lot of useful informations and hints how to do it right:
easysid

Post by easysid »

If you are going to color, I'd suggest getting a spray can of acrylic color(s). It gives a very even and smooth finish which is hard to get by a paint brush, and is a lot easier.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

i am having a problem in making tissue foil
last night i made a square of tissue foil. I started folding and a disaster happened! :o my paper teared along the precreases i made.I think the paper was a bit too crisp to fold but i am not sure. has this happened to someone else?
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Yep, it always used to happen to me. It means that you need to dilute the glue with water before putting it on the foil. It works if you just use about 2 parts glue, and 1 part water. That's what I did, and it worked. you only need a TINY bit of glue on the foil though. It's very temperamental, tissue foil. It takes a bit of practice to make it well too XD good luck
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

thanks Ben for the tip
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

can i color foil perfectly with acrylic paint?
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Yes, but dilute it with MC or water first.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!