Butterpaper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
arvindaforce

Butterpaper?

Post by arvindaforce »

I have been using butter paper to fold Satoshi Kamiya's models and Im having a hard time with it. I live in India and have no access to fancy "origami' paper.(I tried hunting for tissue foil and was handed toilet paper at every shop :? ) There is an origami club near me but they fold with colored A4 sheets and nothing overly complicated and it was some genius there who told me to use butter paper. The paper creates creases but doesn't memorize them and handling gets harder and harder with each crease. Should I stop using Butter paper , if yes then what paper do I use?
Eamon

Re: Butterpaper?

Post by Eamon »

If butter paper isn't working, then yeah, you should probably find another paper.Just FYI, asking for tissue foil will get you nowhere. Ask for tissue paper or solid tissue, and glue it to aluminum foil. Also, you could try to look for tracing paper. It is translucent, and smooth to the touch. If you can find it, make sure its thin if you want to fold Kamiya models. Kraft wrapping paper may work too, but it has to be stripey. Otherwise its crap. Hope this helps!
My flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93038503@N06/
My forum gallery. http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11416
Constructive criticism is appreciated as well as encouraged.
arvindaforce

Post by arvindaforce »

Hey thanks for the advice !!!
easysid

Post by easysid »

Where do you live in India?
I wouldn't recommend butterpaper as reversing creases is nearly impossible on it. Also, the layers will slip due to its smoothness, making it very difficult to fold accurately.

For practice pieces, ask for tracing paper at a good stationary shop. Make sure you get the one which is a bit rough to touch (otherwise layers will slip). Many shops sell a butterpaper like tracing paper which is crap. So you may have to search a bit and try different types you get.

For main models, use handmade papers. You can get banana paper and lokta in India. I highly recommend Banana paper. Thin and crisp (depending on the gsm you use). Folds w/o any MC treatment and much better than home made tissue foil IMHO.

As for the matter of tissue foil, ask for 'kite paper'. All stationary shops have it, but quality may vary. But it is a pain to prepare tissue foil perfectly. Except for models that explicitly require foil (e.g. swiss army knife) handmade paper is much better.

If nothing works, order from origami-shop.com. Its expensive but it'll shorten the war by two years and save millions of lives :D :D :D
arvindaforce

Post by arvindaforce »

Hey easysid thanks for the advice. I live in Pune. Banana paper ? Haven't heard of it .I doubt the local shops will have it but I think i'll get it in town. Will ask for lokta too. BBT haha =D> :-D
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Is "butterpaper" the same as kitepaper or glassine?
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
arvindaforce

Post by arvindaforce »

I haven't really touched or used glassine but I guess it is just as smooth though not that crisp(by the looks of it at least.). Kitepaper is rough . This is used to wrap bread loaves, pastries, cakes etc. Baking paper http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchment_paper_(baking) . exactly like the one in the link. Look, texture and all.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Another Indian! Since easysid has already told you the kite paper trick i ll just tell you the rest.
1- Tissue is kite paper
2- Brown paper is kraft
3- You wont get name specific stuff in India, just go to a handmade paper dealer and actually try folding the paper.
4- the Marico Revive can be used as a very bad replacement for CMC
arvindaforce

Post by arvindaforce »

Hey chesscuber thanks for the advice!!
Why Revive,cant I use fevicol ??
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Fevicol is white glue, Revive on the other hand is starch. So it will not only stick the sheet but also will make it crisp and its easier to remove air bubbles. Also it will go through the layers of the paper and so it will be uniformly spread.
easysid

Post by easysid »

Pune is excellent. Get in touch with the folks at origami-mitra. They are based in Mumbai so I am sure they'll know something about Pune. Also, try the Handmade paper Institute in Pune. Most definitely you'll get good paper there.
As for MC, if you're in school/college, ask the Chem Lab teacher.
arvindaforce

Post by arvindaforce »

Paper Institute in my backyard :? . How ignorant can I be....
Thanks anyway
evapouration22

Post by evapouration22 »

Hi all,
I am new to origami forum...glad to meet u all
Hello arvindaforce ...Iam from pune as well...gud to c a fellow punekar... :D
I have had my share troubles as well searching for origami paper...most shopkeepers gave me 6x6 in precut sheets... :!:
Can u please tell me where paper institute is??
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

hey if u live in india then listen: u must have used amul butter, the paper used to wrap the butter is quite thin and very crisp, then glue the paper to foil. Trust me! It works great! I will upload the pic of the model i folded with it.
Where can i find banana paper?
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

here is one model from it