Butcher/kraft paper.. amazing

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Benlewisorigami

Butcher/kraft paper.. amazing

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Hey guys! So I know a lot of you (like me) live in the United States and find it hard to find a good type of kraft paper. Anyway, I went to Sam's Club ( if you live in the united states, you most likely know what this store is, if you don't know, use google to find a location near you) and I found 1,000 foot roll by 18 inches of butcher paper. Here's what it is

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/handy-wack ... navAction=

There was already a roll open and I creased an end that was already open. It creases amazing. I bet if you looked, you can easily find it in the store, even though it may not be this specific brand. Only 10 dollars for this huge roll! Also, you can go online on the website, and order it! I'm definitely going to buy some next week when I get some money. I'll keep you posted on how it folds.

Ben
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
steingar

Re: Butcher/kraft paper.. amazing

Post by steingar »

What Robert Lang was folding when I first met him all those years ago. That's why many of his older models are made from unusually shaped rectangles.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

unfortunately, ben, if you don't like tracing paper, butcher paper is much like it.
fncll

Post by fncll »

Do report back. This is one of the few stores I have locally and I've been tempted to buy a roll.
Benlewisorigami

bethnor wrote:unfortunately, ben, if you don't like tracing paper, butcher paper is much like it.
Thanks for the advice! I'm not sure why, but it seems really different from tracing. It actually seems like craft paper.

bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

fncll wrote:Do report back. This is one of the few stores I have locally and I've been tempted to buy a roll.
fncll--you can buy rolls of butcher paper at hobby lobby. it comes in brown or white. one side is matte, the other is waxed and therefore glossy. basically, it folds very much like tracing paper, imho. it is thin, but very springy. you will have to use clips with multiple layers to keep in place. the springiness tends to make more complex models fall apart otherwise as you do it. it does seem pretty strong and tear resistant.

for practice, it is probably okay. i still prefer the foils i listed, mainly because the model doesn't fall apart as i fold, and the foil is amenable to shaping. you will also have to do something to make a model made of butcher paper stay in place at the end--either wet fold, glue, wire, etc., etc. if you're okay with that, it's alright.

i have to say, i really wanted for parchment, butcher, and white kraft to work. they're just okay, and i can't picture using up the remaining rolls. there's no panacea, no paper that is perfect out of the box.
fncll

Post by fncll »

I hear that! I ordered a roll of foil based on your recommendation(s) just yesterday!
Benlewisorigami

Okay guys. So I bought it yesterday. It ended up being a little more money than it said on the website (17 dollars)

It seems pretty nice. I started Kamiya's plesiousaur out of it and I'm off to shaping. I'm gonna try white glue first. Anyway, it holds creases nice, but I have yet to fold a few models out of it to determine how well it works. I'll keep you posted

Justinorigami

Post by Justinorigami »

How is this paper? Can it be used for complex folds?
Then one day you find, ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

Butcher paper seems to vary in weight quite a bit.
Some is heavily waxed, others not so much.
Generally feels crisp, holds creases nicely .
No sizing necessary.
I tend to think of it as a middle ground between softer tant and the slightly heavier elephant paper.
Under some folding situations, including complex, the right butcher paper can be excellent.
A roll is oftentimes 18 to 24 inches wide, allowing for a plentiful supply of squares.
The completed model will be very sturdy !
In summary, I enjoy folding with the proper butcher paper, especially when not too heavily waxed, your mileage may differ.
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Acorn Man

Post by Acorn Man »

I checked it out on the website, and there was a bad review saying it stuck to the frozen meat because it doesn't have any wax. That's great news. I'll be looking for it. It's a great deal to. Nice find! =D>
I finally got it to say something under my posts!
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

I have a roll of " butcher paper" that I located from Sam's Club.
It's darkish brown, some mottled texture to it, 24 inches wide by about 20 feet long.
Much like crisp lotka, but thicker. Strong fiber.
Same color both sides though .
Ideal for many animals, tessellations, modular etc .
Sometimes educational stores, such as Lakeshore and others, will stock it or have the capacity to order it.
Pretty much hit or miss tho.
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
Justinorigami

Post by Justinorigami »

I've recently discovered 'if you care' brand baking paper. It works great, and most of the models on my flickr photostream are folded with it.
Then one day you find, ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun. - Pink Floyd, Time
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

http://kimscrane.com/index.php?main_pag ... ts_id=2253
Has anyone tried this paper? Is it good for complex models?
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
Benlewisorigami

Nice to see that some people are actually posting in this topic! And Kyle, I actually haven't, but it looks really interesting. I'm still on a quest to find suitable ryujin 3.5 paper....