Go Green: Save Paper; Save Trees; Save Earth...

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
alkagupta0408

Go Green: Save Paper; Save Trees; Save Earth...

Post by alkagupta0408 »

Origami practiced for domestic and leisure purposes can be done with old used printer supplies, or used note book papers, or used pad papers etc. Use of old used paper for origami with kids can also encourage kids for the conservation of trees and in turn for a better environment. GO GREEN
Last edited by alkagupta0408 on September 29th, 2013, 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Re: Go Green: Save Paper; Save Trees; Save Earth...

Post by chesscuber98 »

It is very good of you to take up this initiative but sadly complex origami cannot be done with old printer supplies or notebook papers. Although i am saying this, i must also mention that paper used in such models are usually handmade and so they not only provide livelihoods to many but also come from a renewable source.
JamesOrigami490

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

I do tend to fold simpler models with old papers or homework that we don't need anymore. I also use that for test folds and when I'm trying to fold a portion of the model.
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
alkagupta0408

Post by alkagupta0408 »

That is what i do as well. I even make my origami tutorial videos with old paper.

we should be responsible for conserving the environment...
JamesOrigami490

I agree completely. I also forgot to welcome you. :D Welcome!
My imgur
My Website
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

If we wanted to save trees, we would not advise folding paper as a hobby.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Eh... I don't really agree.... On some levels anyway.
I remember one time (when I was new to origami) I made a modular crane out of 500 pieces of A4 paper. I remember showing it to one of my sister's friends, and her saying "what a waste of the environment" I got SO annoyed that one time because she was with her Coach pocketbook, new shoes, phone, laptop, and all the fancy expensive stuff.
I believe that origami is an art (like most people) and paper is our canvas. I believe that we should protect the environment, but conserving certain things (like paper) can be extremely misunderstood and taken to the extremes sometimes.
Trees are a renewable resource. It's a proven fact. I'm learning it in my school right now actually. As soon as woodsmen cut a forest down, they re-plant it. Trees re-seed themselves. I just believe that if we are artists, we should be using quality materials for our art.
Just my two cents...
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
JamesOrigami490

Benlewisorigami wrote:Eh... I don't really agree.... On some levels anyway.
1. I remember one time (when I was new to origami) I made a modular crane out of 500 pieces of A4 paper. I remember showing it to one of my sister's friends, and her saying "what a waste of the environment" I got SO annoyed that one time because she was with her Coach pocketbook, new shoes, phone, laptop, and all the fancy expensive stuff.
2.I believe that origami is an art (like most people) and paper is our canvas. I believe that we should protect the environment, but conserving certain things (like paper) can be extremely misunderstood and taken to the extremes sometimes.
3. Trees are a renewable resource. It's a proven fact. I'm learning it in my school right now actually. As soon as woodsmen cut a forest down, they re-plant it. Trees re-seed themselves. I just believe that if we are artists, we should be using quality materials for our art.
Just my two cents...
You do bring up some good points.
1.I agree with you there.
2.I agree with the first sentence. However, we should definitely save as many trees as possible. Trees can help stop global warming, an issue I take very seriously.
3.True, however trees take many years to grow. It's not as if when we cut the trees down and plant new seeds, trees spring up immediately. I'm not trying to ban the use of quality paper, I'm trying to limit it to not using it for folds that don't need quality paper.
My imgur
My Website
leung_wwy

Post by leung_wwy »

Aha but from the perspective of global warming, it's actually new tree/plant growth that absorbs more carbon in the process to grow woody material. So from an environmental perspective, if you have plantation trees being cut down and then replanted, it's actually removing carbon from the atmosphere :-)
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Guys its just logical, the amount of paper and origamist uses in a year is probably the amount an office uses in a day. Its just as simple as that.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I even doubt it is that much. When I see at work how much paper we use because everything needs to be documented and then stored for ten to forty years depending on what for the data is used I always wonder about the big store houses that have to be built to hold papers that probably no one will ever read again just to destroy them when enough time has gone by. Those houses waste space, they need to be held dry, so they surely have a heating system. I'm very sure they are a bigger problem to the environment than the few sheets of paper an Origami folder needs.
I have many wonderful papers at home, but I don't waste them. I value every single sheet and I love trees but I sincerely think that many more trees get wasted for other things than Origami.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

chesscuber98 wrote:Guys its just logical, the amount of paper and origamist uses in a year is probably the amount an office uses in a day. Its just as simple as that.
origami_8 wrote:I even doubt it is that much. Those houses waste space, they need to be held dry, so they surely have a heating system. I'm very sure they are a bigger problem to the environment than the few sheets of paper an Origami folder needs. but I sincerely think that many more trees get wasted for other things than Origami.
=D> Thank you!!! That was my original point. When my sister's friend came over with all her fancy things and made that comment, it made me somewhat angry as she had so many fancy and expensive things that probably used many other natural resources to produce. And I bet it used trees to produce the electricity needed to make them.

Chesscuber98, THANK YOU TOO! Such a great point in your first sentence. I mean, I don't think any of us have the time to just be cranking out models (with work, school....) that would amount to more paper used by an office in even a week....
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Edg

Post by Edg »

I don't think trees can stop man made global warming, as they're only a short term carbon sink. If anything, preserving large amounts of paper in warehouses would be better (for locking up CO2) than letting trees respire and eventually die and decompose in the forest (though I ain't saying that's a viable solution either). Also, I would guess paper manufacturers probably have a vested interest in growing more trees, not just clearing virgin forest and then going out of business. That being said, trees probably aren't the best source of raw materials for paper anyway(especially origami papers!)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Why not? One of the best papers for folding is mulberry paper. Mulberry trees are not your typical wood trees, at least not where I live, but that's another story.
Edg

Post by Edg »

Yeah, didn't think of that! Mind you, I believe it's the bark of the mulberry that's used as opposed to the wood, but it's a tree, non the less. I guess my point was more that trees aren't a very efficient( being as they are relatively slow growing) way to produce paper. Hemp is much more productive (I believe there was some kind of lobbying in the USA way back to illegalise marijuana by a paper magnate/ tree plantation owner for that very reason) and many other plant fibres as well probably. Having said that a quick glance across the net suggests I probably don't have the whole picture. Also I use a lot of kraft paper, which is wood based. In conclusion, I didn't think it through!