New Papers from Origami-shop

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
bethnor
Buddha

New Papers from Origami-shop

Post by bethnor »

origami-shop has put up some new papers, which i have actually already inadvertently tried, and i was just starting a thread for anyone who is curious.

FYI, the product called "leather paper" has been around awhile. it is the medium which kawahata folded the cover models with in origami fantasy, so those who desire to "replicate" these should give it a go (sort of like how people love folding the ancient dragon in red), and was actually sold as dinosaur origami paper some time ago. as a paper--it is okay. the reality is, no paper is "perfect" out of the box, and "leather paper" is no exception. as the name implies, it actually does fold somewhat like cloth--it creases broadly, if you know what i mean, and the creases are somewhat soft, and can be hard to see. it is about the thickness of tant in terms of handling. the texture is quite visually appealing, but it is probably unsuitable for stuff like insects (too thick), and layers will tend to splay unless you use an adulterant.

i have a family member in the military stationed in japan, and i tried to get him to buy me the 35 cm foil from gallery origami house. he inadvertently got me several packs of what is called "biotope" paper. this paper is also just okay. it is thin, but not to the point where it is usable for everything (i was unable to proceed with the kamiya lyrebird, for instance). it seems to be considerably stronger than ordinary kami or tant, though, and i will probably give the lang praying mantis from OI1 as a test of said strength, as even folding the lyrebird in half, it didn't break along the spine. creases are sharp, easy to reverse, but can be a bit hard to see depending on lighting. layers will splay unless you use an adulterant.
Benlewisorigami

Re: New Papers from Origami-shop

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Thanks a lot for the review! Definately sounds like some interesting paper. I am finally starting to bank up a little money from my job so I was thinking of getting an origamishop order in soon, but I'm not sure because I've heard some mixed reviews about them.

And wow! That foil sounds awesome! I would definately love to see some of your folds from it!
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/