Packs of One-Color Kami

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
dinogami

Packs of One-Color Kami

Post by dinogami »

Hi All! - In a few weeks, I'm scheduled to teach origami at a multicultural-diversity workshop. The students will all be people that I have to assume have never done origami before, so I'm keeping it simple. Given the pre-Thanksgiving timing, I looked for a turkey, but couldn't find one that was simple enough and yet looked like a turkey. So, instead, I'm going to teach a simple Santa Claus model (still up in the air between Seiji Nishikawa's from Tanteidan magazine #64 or Fumiaki Shingu's from here...got to fill an hour!). (There are plenty of other cute, simple-ish Santas that I've seen on Gilad's page, but I don't have immediate access to a lot of the diagrams for them--they're in books or mags I don't have!)

My problem is that if I teach a Santa model, I really need paper that's red on one side and white on the other. Because these will all be beginners, I'd love for the sheets to be as large as possible. Ideally, the 9.75 in. (24.8 cm) kami sheets would be great, but I can't find packs of just the red-and-white in that size anymore. I know OUSA used to sell them. I can find red-only packs in the 5.75 in. (14.6 cm) size kami, and may have to try and make that work--it would work better with Shingu's model than Nishikawa's, but to fill the hour, I'm leaning more toward the latter (and it's cuter, IMHO).

Does anyone know of a source for one-color, large kami sheets? Or, alternatively, some other kind of paper that would work well for this? I'd make some tissue foil or MC'd tissue, but I don't have time to make the number of pieces necessary, sadly, so I need something pre-packaged and ready to go. The group organizing this also is on a budget, so I can't just buy several multi-packs of large kami and just use the red sheets out of them. Any suggestions or recommendations greatly appreciated--thanks in advance!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: Packs of One-Color Kami

Post by Swapnil Das »

You could try here: http://www.origami-shop.com/en/paperori ... -1578.html

It's a packet of a whole different colors of 24 x 24 cm sheets. It has 60 papers inside and only 9 euros. Hope ot helps, and good luck! :D :D
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

wow. for whatever reason, i thought this subject would be easier.

for the time being, it seems the only source stateside that will fulfill your needs is paperjade. they are somewhat expensive, but shipping is free, and service is fast.

of course, as you know, if you relax your requirements to 15 cm, you have more options, including ousa, kimscrane, and fineartstore, as well s direct from the dealer (yasutomo, now under the fold'ems brand). in my experience, while you might need 25 cm for demonstration purposes, kids should do okay with 15 cm squares. you could always try inquiring kimscrane to see if they can help you... they used to carry single color packs in 25 cm, but, i imagine as with OUSA, there just isn't a demand for that size.

another thing you could try is buying the a large roll of fadeless paper that should be available at any craft store. if i am correct, i do believe copy stores (is there even kinko's anymore?) should be able to cut squares for you.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Miyabi sells packs of 50 24x24cm sheets in one colour: http://www.origami-papier.eu/2425cmstan ... 0_220.html
From what I've seen, they have four different shades of red with white on the backside.
And if you like it even bigger, they have 35x35cm as well: http://www.origami-papier.eu/origamiueb ... 8_379.html
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Wow, you guys & gals rock! These are great--thank you so much! I went with Paper Jade just because they're more local (I'm happy to order from Europe; this was just faster and more convenient), but I was unaware of all those European sources and am happy to learn of them for future use! Thanks, everyone!