white backed unryu paper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
wriggles

white backed unryu paper?

Post by wriggles »

Hey there =)
I'm trying to make paper like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39697322%40N02/4253729022
Can I back-coat blue unryu paper with white tissue or will it all bleed into one light blue color?
Will banana paper bleed if I decide to use that instead?
I really want that swirling pant fiber look, but I can't seem to find any for sale with white backing =(

thanks in advance for any replies!
phillipcurl

Re: white backed unryu paper?

Post by phillipcurl »

You can back-coat unryu. you'll have a bit of blue showing through on the white, but you will be able to tell that it is a lighter color. If you are making a model that isn't very complex, you can just back-coat two unryu sheets together and it should work fine.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Awesome =D
Maybe doubling the white tissue will help it hold it's color? I'm using the usual gift bag stuffing tissue. I really like the double texture look on that whale Wizmatt made.

Thanks a lot for the help! time to get some goop ready =P~
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Yeah, but make the double tissue sheet prior to gluing it to the unryu. Then, lay down the double tissue sheet first and get it wet (I usually use a spray bottle when doing this, as DT is so fragile). Then proceed to glue the unryu onto the sheet of DT. I'm not sure how well the tissue you are using holds water, but this is the way I have done what you are talking about in the past :)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

After destroying several sheets trying to get the technique down, I finally got the hang of this =)
Under certain lighting both sides look the same because of the transparency, but one side is definitely whiter and has that duo texture I was aiming for. No bleeding or wrinkles or bubbles either! =D
The picture doesn't do it justice, hopefully when it's folded it'll be more noticable
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

What does the fox say? ring ding ding ding da ding da ding =P

Figured I'd add my experiences with this paper to the pot while it's still fresh in my memory.

1. Deciding which side you want glossy, if any. I heard using a baking sheet to keep both sides non-glossy works, but it lifted off the sheet while drying and warped horribly. I also heard working on top of styrofoam will keep both sides non-glossy, but I haven't had a chance to try that yet.
I decided to stick with plexiglass and live with the glossiness. For some reason my plexiglass is very static-y and paper sticks to it like a magnet, so I didn't need to spray the paper with water first.

1.a For having the unryu side glossy, take a look at which side of the paper has mulberry fiber bumps raised, and which side is smooth. Make sure the smooth side is facing down against your workplace, or you could risk air getting under those crevices while it dries, resulting in a warped sheet.
Putting the second sheet on top and applying MC to them both at the same time worked fine here.

1.b For having the plain tissue side glossy (I used gift wrap tissue), coat the sheet with MC by itself, brushing away all the wrinkles/bubbles, THEN lay down the unryu on top of it (smooth side down, bumpy side up) and brush lightly again to seal the deal.
When I tried applying the MC to both sheets at the same time with the paper stacked in this order, I had a lot of small wrinkles on the plain tissue side, because the mulberry fibers being on top prevented the brush strokes from stretching out the wrinkles in the plain tissue underneath it. Not to mention bubbles galore. So I highly recommend coating each sheet separately here. (this version looks best imo, it's what I used for the fox)

edit: woops, I meant plexiglass not fiberglass lol. Don't glue your paper to fiberglass...
Last edited by wriggles on November 28th, 2013, 6:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
gordigami

Post by gordigami »

@ wriggles:
Your application for a white side looks successful !
Very nice fox.
We all will appreciate your comprehensive notes & hints on procedure .
Nicely explained !
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

That is quyet's fox no? It is really nicely done :)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

gordigami wrote:@ wriggles:
Your application for a white side looks successful !
Very nice fox.
We all will appreciate your comprehensive notes & hints on procedure .
Nicely explained !
Thanks =) hopefully I saved some headaches
chesscuber98 wrote:That is quyet's fox no? It is really nicely done :)
Yup, thanks =)
I'm making a mobile of 9 Alaskan animals for my brother's newborn baby with unryu paper, so I'll be posting a flickr link later on if anyone is interested :D
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Finished the last piece today =)
Collection of Alaskan animals folded from unryu: http://www.flickr.com/photos/108108475@N04/