Wrinkle-less double tissue...?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Benlewisorigami

Wrinkle-less double tissue...?

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Hey guys. I know that there were a few topics on double tissue, and I didn't really wanna bump any old posts (mods, feel free to remove this or move this post if you think it should go in the previous topics. I wasn't sure). Well a few days ago, I got some Bleeding Art tissue recommended to me by Shuki Kato. I immediately ordered some (advantage of having a job!) and it came in the mail 2 days ago.
Well I tried making double tissue from it, and since it's bleeding, it turns the MC whatever color the tissue is. Well as much as I've tried to make good double tissue, it always comes out with too many wrinkles, bubbles, or tears in it.
I don't usually beg for help, but I would hate to ruin all the tissue that I just ordered by not doing it correctly. I've already seen Sarah Adam's video, but somehow, the tissue just doesn't do what hers does. I don't know if it's my ratio of MC powder to water, brushing technique, or what. Thanks sooooo much in advance guys!

Ben

P.S. the type of tissue I got is this: http://www.amazon.com/Pacon-Spectra-Ass ... art+tissue
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
phillipcurl

Re: Wrinkle-less double tissue...?

Post by phillipcurl »

You are always going to get wrinkles when gluing two sheets of tissue paper together, double tissue or tissue foil. It is almost unavoidable. If you want to get less wrinkles, try moistening your work surface before you begin. Also, get someone to help you set the sheets down - they'll help you keep the paper tight so you get less wrinkles. Lastly, use a very soft, large brush - be sure to get one with natural bristles.
Hope this helps :)
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

I almost always get wrinkle free double tissue and tissue foil when using bleeding tissue paper. Apart from the paper I do think it depends a lot on the technique you use.

For the double tissue I first glue down one edge with MC, then make a stroke with lots of MC down the middle of the paper and afterwards I distribute the MC from this middle stroke outwards, always going left-right-left-right-... Afterwards I repeat this time going up-down-up-down-... from the middle outwards. Always going outwards pushes out any airbubbles or wrinkles there might be.

For tissue foil, I apply only a very very thin layer of glue to the foil (watering down the glue helps). Then I apply the tissue paper that I previously rolled onto a cardboard tube (a broom stick or something similar should work as well). To apply the tissue paper I press its edge down the side of the foil, then I slowly start rolling it off with one hand. In the other hand I have a folded piece of kitchen tissue with whom I press down the paper in an up down movement to avoid any airbubbles. This way I almost always get wrinkle free Tissue Foil. Due to the fact that I only used such a thin layer of glue, the paper here doesn't really get wet and can be used instantly.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

origami_8 wrote:I almost always get wrinkle free double tissue and tissue foil when using bleeding tissue paper. Apart from the paper I do think it depends a lot on the technique you use.
Sorry if I didn't clarify. I am pretty positive that it's my technique. It was recommended by Shuki, and I have seen this type of tissue around on flickr, but I just don't know how to make double tissue well... but thanks sooo much Anna! I'll definitely give that a go.
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/