Painting white

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
al-black

Re: Painting white

Post by al-black »

Hey,

Didn't expect the discussion to head down the ethics path.

My goal was to learn a little bit and have fun folding a neat model. My concerns are more aesthetic that "ethical". When I've painted parts of the model, it drew attention to that aspect rather than the features that are neat and/or intended by designer. (Or my sloppy folding... which is usually the case.) So if nothing else I adhered to that ethical goal.

Zero crisis either way foldskate! Gave one to a friend who returned a picture of it: https://www.flickr.com/photos/93484514@N08/. You can see its a Paulius Mielinis elephant that you can download at the source. 40cm washi painted on both sides with an acrylic and mc mixutre.

All the best,

al
al-black

Post by al-black »

More follow up. Artist quality green with mc on light water colour paper. Great saturation on the colour and real leathery like feel to model which is what I was looking for. Fairly thick treatment so upped the paper size.

Anyhow, here's the model (Diaz Rana Toro) https://www.flickr.com/photos/93484514@N08/13531612453/
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

OK, I've painted my Standard paper Green and it's perfect! Except for one down side. If I make a fold on the paper on the green side, then my fingers get a bit covered with the paint. Any tips?
I've used watercolor, btw.
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Edg

Post by Edg »

watercolour will stay soluble after it dries, so the moisture from your fingers is probably lifting some paint off. I know you can use hairspray as a fixative for pencil drawings to stop smudging, maybe this will work for paint? If you can get hold of some acrylic paint that should be better. You can thin it with water to a watercolour like wash, but once dry it should stay put, even for wet folding! :) Try to avoid very cheap paint if you can as it gives a tacky/sticky feeling finish. Hope this helps
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Thanks a lot, Edg! I'll find some acrylics. That's what I noticed too. Every one uses Acrylics and not Watercolor. :P

Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Thanks again, Edg! Just got some yesterday and already made a Blue Fiery Dragon, A red Swiss Army Knife and preparing the paper for a Praying Mantis by Robert Lang! :D

Edg

Post by Edg »

Glad to have helped! :)
idooi

Post by idooi »

Where can you find this "acrylic paint" ?Can someone make a video tatorial for this technique?
The worst mistake you can do

is to be afraid to make a mistake
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Hehe, there's no video tutorial. Just grab some acrylics paint from your local art store and mix the paint with some water. Then use a paintbrush and paint the whole paper crazily! Originally used for art and drawing.

bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

idooi wrote:Where can you find this "acrylic paint" ?Can someone make a video tatorial for this technique?
people. surely it can't be that hard to go to google and type "acrylic paint."
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

idooi wrote:Where can you find this "acrylic paint" ?Can someone make a video tatorial for this technique?
and your signature says
"The worst mistake you can do is to be afraid to make a mistake"
a little ironic wouldn't you say :lol:

p.s. I will be painting some paper black, I will be using acrylic paint because this seems to be the best choice based on the info in this topic :)

Thanks all
OG
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!