Colour bleeding through

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Edg

Colour bleeding through

Post by Edg »

Greetings, does anyone have advice on preventing the colour bleeding through when back coating two sheets together? My specific problem is with certain shades of lokta( I guess some of the dyes they use in manufacture aren't very "fast"). I'm wanting to lay some white( haven't decided what type of paper yet...) onto brown lokta for Micheal La Fosse's squirrel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
al-black

Re: Colour bleeding through

Post by al-black »

I'm getting in some lokta soon, and am wondering the same thing. Has anybody tired retayne -- a dye fixative used by sewers? (And I'm sure there are other manufactures for the same product ...)

Thanks
al
Edg

Post by Edg »

Well, I've got some kind of dye fixative in the loft, now you mention it. Your supposed to wash it out after application, but lokta is pretty strong when wet...experimenting time!
al-black

Post by al-black »

Same train of thought -- let us know how it goes!
Edg

Post by Edg »

After some rigorous scientific tests...the fixative failed to do anything and the rinsing process took most of the colour from the paper, so that rules that out! For reference, the fixative used was Berol dye fixer (its specifically for concentrated batik dye so perhaps another product would be better) tested on dark green lokta. The paper held up excellently to rinsing, its very strong!
al-black

Post by al-black »

Huh! I'll try some other fixitive when my order comes in -- maybe that'll make a difference...

thanks