Origami Paper Exchange

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.

Would you want to participate in an origami paper exchange.

Poll ended at January 1st, 2014, 12:51 pm

Yes, in an exchange like Anna said, where everyone sends a number of sheets of one sort and gets the same number of different sheets from different participants.
90%
Yes, in an exchange like Michael said, where every participant sends paper to another participant.
10%
No
No votes

Total votes: 10

GrossMichael

Origami Paper Exchange

Post by GrossMichael »

Inspired by the Winter Origami Exchange I thought to make a paper exchange. In different parts of the world you find different papers, so everybody can try some new kinds of paper. For example, in Germany there are many kinds of Kraft and Elephant Hide, which you might not find in let's say Australia.
What do you think about it?
Last edited by GrossMichael on December 22nd, 2013, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Origami Paper Exchange

Post by origami_8 »

Some years ago I participated in a paper exchange and it was a lot of fun. It was limited to 20 people (including the organizer) who had to send 20 sheets of their three favourite kinds of paper (3x20=60 plus a return envelope) to the organizer. The organizer than took one of sheet of each kind to return to every participant. So every participant got 60 different sheets of paper back. It was pretty interesting for me to see what kinds of paper people like to fold with.
Every participant also had to send along a note (per email) about the papers he sent, like where he got them or how he made them and what its advantages are. The organizer then set up a description page with pictures and notes of each paper. Unfortunately it seems the page is no longer available otherwise I would have linked you to it.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

I think that it's a FANTASTIC idea! I've wanted to try European rolls of Kraft and elephanthide for some time now... I think it's an excellent idea and I would totally be interested. Maybe since it's near Christmas time, a lot of people will off of school and work to sign up!
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

I don't think that I (we) have time to organise it in time for everybody to get his paper this year. We have to set up the form and let people sign up until Christmas, I'd say. Then there needs to be a period of at least 10 days for people to send the paper. I think Everybody will get his paper by the end of January.
Here are some rules I thought of:
You have to send at least 20 (maybe even 30) sheets at least 15 cm in size (If they're smaller you have to send more).
You have to send types of paper that can't be found in every country (so no printer paper or other cheap stuff).
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Noooooooo christmas is ruined T_T

I'm fresh out of any paper worth trading, but this sounds like a fun idea =)
mathskid

Post by mathskid »

Sounds like fun only there isn't enough time. :( I'll help organize it if you want me to.
wait a sec, I've just got to do this fold.
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Great idea! I would definitely be interested.
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

I would be interested too.
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

I think I'll start a poll to see who's willing to participate. If I get more than 30 participants I'll do it. If you want to take part please vote what type of exchange you want
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

I chose what Anna wrote because every one will get an equal amount of paper in the end. I am thinking that if every one sends paper to a different participant some one might get a lot of paper and some one else might get no paper what so ever. That is just what I thought, I might have read what Michael said wrongly.
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

OrigamiGeek Yes, I agree. I chose Anna's exchange too. But if we do it like this it would be more efficient if someone from the US or Central Europe would organize it because shipping to Romania(Where I live) is quite expansive and it takes a long time for a package to arrive.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

a way to do the other way is we could make a list of people and there country. then match people from different countries to send paper. than the paper would not have to get shipped more than once ;)
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Will there be money included?
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

Well, that's a bit complicated. I would say that you should include the sum that you spent on shipping to the organiser so that he can send the letter back to you.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Is this still on? India is special for its Khadi paper. Also we get Lokta cheap here.
I would love to participate in something like this!