Making Multicoloured Double Tissue (idea, guide)

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Langko

Making Multicoloured Double Tissue (idea, guide)

Post by Langko »

Hey everyone :D

I recently came up with a new idea that I thought I would share with you. I've always liked the look of Kamiya's little bird...
I like how the paper he used has different shades of colours in it. It gives the model a really good effect and makes it stand out.

Now I have no idea where he got that paper (probably can't afford it anyway XD)
So I thought about how I could make paper that gave a similar effect.
This is what I came up with...
My fold, Hope you like it :)

So, basically the paper is double tissue with with ripped of pieces of other tissue in between the 2 layers.
Let me explain...

Firstly I got a light blue and light green sheet of tissue paper and chopped them up into random shapes...

Then I got a white sheet of tissue paper and sprayed one side with spray glue.

Then I randomly placed the cut up pieces on the paper. After that I sprayed the whole sheet with glue again.

Then I glued a yellow sheet of tissue paper over the top. Let that dry, cut the paper to square and your good to go!

I only thought of making this guide after I folded the model... So thats why I don't have any real photos of the process :( So sorry about that but I hope you understand. Here's a photo of the piece of paper I had left over after cutting a square from the sheet.

I haven't experimented with doing this with other shades of colours yet... But I'm sure its possible.
Hope you like this and thanks for reading :)

Lankgo
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
Kyle2952

Re: Making Multicoloured Double Tissue (idea, guide)

Post by Kyle2952 »

This is a great idea!
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Hey Lanko. This is a great idea. I really like the tutorial on making this patterned paper aswell. I do remember seeing a cat that was made the same way about a year ago that used the same paper. I searched my favorites on flickr but I couldn't find it or remember the name of the folder. That bird looks stunning!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Brilliant idea, Jordan!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

To replicate the bird shown in the first picture, perhaps one could take lightly dyed water and to a tie-dye method of some sort. Except maybe without the ties. :P
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

Great idea. I am so going to try this. I just got some bleeding tissue paper that should be perfect for this.
Feanor

Post by Feanor »

I think tearing paper instead of cutting will give even more interesting results. This way the edges of the color patches will be semi-transparent. And the paper will become more homogeneous because the ripped edges are very thin.
Langko

Post by Langko »

Kyle2952 wrote:This is a great idea!
sr123ification wrote:Brilliant idea, Jordan!
Thanks guys!
roodborst wrote:Hey Lanko. This is a great idea. I really like the tutorial on making this patterned paper aswell. I do remember seeing a cat that was made the same way about a year ago that used the same paper. I searched my favorites on flickr but I couldn't find it or remember the name of the folder. That bird looks stunning!
Thanks very much. Maybe you mean this cat by Jesse Barr?
Its the only cat I know that has different colours... Not sure how he made the paper though... Though it looks awesome :)
Razzmatazz wrote:Cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

To replicate the bird shown in the first picture, perhaps one could take lightly dyed water and to a tie-dye method of some sort. Except maybe without the ties. :P
Thanks and your most welcome :) That sounds like a good idea, thank you. I have no experiment in tie-dying... Maybe some sort of water colour paints could work as well?
ginshun wrote:Great idea. I am so going to try this. I just got some bleeding tissue paper that should be perfect for this.
Thanks and good luck with making the paper :)
Feanor wrote:I think tearing paper instead of cutting will give even more interesting results. This way the edges of the color patches will be semi-transparent. And the paper will become more homogeneous because the ripped edges are very thin.
Thanks for the idea! Sounds good although the thing with tissue is that its hard to tear against the grain. By cutting I could more easily make whatever shape I wanted.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Langko wrote: Thanks and your most welcome :) That sounds like a good idea, thank you. I have no experiment in tie-dying... Maybe some sort of water colour paints could work as well?
Water colours would probably work better than dye. And you could probably just paint it on in the pattern you wish. However water saturated papers tend to get wrinkles as we know all too well.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Yeah lanko that's the cat I was looking for. I remember him using strips of tissue to make the paper. Anyway, it is great idea to get some original paper and models. Your tutorial is very welcome!
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I just read your tutorial again and I noticed that you use sprayglue on the double tissue not mc, and no foil. Do you get good paper this way without the foil or mc for the sizing/stiffness?
I've been using whiteglue and a paintroller myself lately to make tissuefoil instead of the sprayglue.
Langko

Post by Langko »

roodborst wrote:Yeah lanko that's the cat I was looking for. I remember him using strips of tissue to make the paper. Anyway, it is great idea to get some original paper and models. Your tutorial is very welcome!
Ok cool, and thank you :)
roodborst wrote:I just read your tutorial again and I noticed that you use sprayglue on the double tissue not mc, and no foil. Do you get good paper this way without the foil or mc for the sizing/stiffness?
I've been using whiteglue and a paintroller myself lately to make tissuefoil instead of the sprayglue.
The paper seems to be working fine... haven't had any troubles with it yet. The paper is very soft though but it folds really well, i.e: reversing a crease works quite well. I haven't tried making it with white glue, mainly because I think that makes too much mess and takes too long to dry... The paper I make is ready to fold in about 10 minutes :)