do you have experience with this paper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
vladka801

do you have experience with this paper?

Post by vladka801 »

Hi, I am quite new in origami folding so I do not know much about paper that is good for origami (especially origami paper that you can buy at czech republic, where I live). So can you give me advice? I found this papers and I really love their patterns, but is it good for origami? It is handprinted so the costs doesn't look so expensive, I think….
http://calico.cz/index.php/shop/origami-papir

Thanks! V.
gordigami

Re: do you have experience with this paper?

Post by gordigami »

Looking at the website, it does seem that much of the paper is either kami-like, kraft paper, and possibly text weight paper.
Generally, rolls of paper are nice in that you can have a bountiful supply and cut to size that you prefer.
Decorative paper oftentimes is mostly used when one is starting out, trying many different types and models of origami .
As you gain experience, you will eventually evolve to the point where you can more easily determine the type of paper that you need to use.
Try to obtain, online or elsewhere, Aitoh packages of paper, colored on one side, white on the other. Also comes colored on each side.
Eventually, you will want to start using larger, single color, thin paper such as tissue-foil and elephant hide.
Search this forum for paper favorites as well as where to buy.
As you fold more & more, and see what other folks are using, you will discover the proper paper for the models that appeal to you.
This all does , of course, take some time as well as lots & lots of practice.
Best of luck in your journey...
May I wish success to all who cope with the mountains & valleys of Life,
with all its peaks & depths, as well as Origami .
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

welcome to the forum.

which paper is "good" will often depend on what kind of origami you are interested in folding.

generally speaking, papers with elaborate patterns are not considered "good" for representational origami, because the eye will be attracted to the pattern instead of the subject.

that said, there are some designs which do fine with such patterns, and are even enhanced by them. won park's models, for instance, look a lot better with dollar bills than with plain papers.

if you intend to fold modulars or traditional origami, such patterned papers are usually fine, even excellent. the only criteria you should have is that the paper does not break/rub off at the creases, which will detract from your final model.
vladka801

Post by vladka801 »

Thank you very much for your answers!!!
So I decided to try to buy them and I will let you know how does it went.
I found this company on czech origami association website also, so I hope that it won't be bad.
Once again thanks for quick answers!
V.