Help in Choosing Paper for complex models.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Chigo

Help in Choosing Paper for complex models.

Post by Chigo »

What paper one should use ? For models like redpath pteranodon by Robert Lang? I folded it using a crispy paper but it didn't look like a fine and clean model. There were some limitations for that paper. So I'm asking for a good quality paper. Thanks !
Wuggums47

Re: Help in Choosing Paper for complex models.

Post by Wuggums47 »

If you're folding a complex model, then there are quite a few options out there for you. For first attempts, it's nice to use kraft paper, it's super cheap. However the finished model might not be that aesthetically pleasing. Unryu is possibly the most beautiful paper, However it requires a lot of preparation to use, and even then it will be difficult to fold. I wouldn't use it for a first attempt, but instead use it on a complex model you have practiced before. If you plan on making a tessellation, most look very good in either Glassine, Stardream, or Elephant Hide. If using Elephant Hide, you probably want as large of a square as possible. Glassine is nice for tesselations because it is very translucent. Now the two best papers I'm saving for last. Tissue foil and Origamido paper. These are well suited for most complex models, but they are extremely pricy. I'm pretty sure everything I've mentioned is available online from Origami-Shop

Not all models will work with all of these papers, but they are good choices.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
JWorigamist

Post by JWorigamist »

How about you try the VOG's crumpled paper for folding complex models? I have seen it used for many box-pleated models.
Ouch! Are you okay? Well...let's see.. advanced box-pleating techniques, Satoshi Kamiya, yeah I'm good. If you fall down nine times get up ten times.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

There is/was an old topic about VOG and it's reliability. Personally, I haven't tried it. I know it can be used for some amazing models, but you need MC to shape or else it will be extremely springy. I'd probably recommend tissue or kraft. Both can be treated with MC, and are great mediums once treated. Certain types of tissue can also be made into double tissue.
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/