What to choose for these models.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Wuggums47

What to choose for these models.

Post by Wuggums47 »

I'm looking to buy some paper for several models, and I'd like recommendations for papers and sheet sizes. I want to fold the Crucifix from the book origami sequence, Satoshi Kamiyas phoenix and ancient dragon, nguyens eagle, and finally Issei Yoshino's T-Rex skeleton. I would like the paper choices to be good looking, and not to difficult to reverse creases with.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
GrossMichael

Re: What to choose for these models.

Post by GrossMichael »

Generally when in doubt on what paper to use serch on flickr and see what other people used. Here are the papers that I'd choose for those models:
Crucific - Tant + wet-folding
Phoenix - Unryu + MC or double tissue
Ancient dragon - Unryu + MC or double tissue
Eagle - kraft, tissue-foil, double tissue or lokta
T-rex skeleton - Elephant hide + wet-folding
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

Thanks so much, This will come in very handy. I have one last question about the T-rex, What size should I cut the sqaures to?
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

If I remember correctly, the head's length is very roughly half the length of a diagonal from the initial square. As elephant hide is quite thick, maybe fold it from at least 25 cm / 10" squares.

Try and fold the bottom of the head (with teeth) or the hands (those are the most detailed parts to fold) with normal letter paper about that size. Then you can check for the teeth' or fingers' look and imagine how it will render with thicker elephant hide.
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

Thanks for all your help!