Unryu in Thailand

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
oswalakhil

Unryu in Thailand

Post by oswalakhil »

Hi folks

Been long since I've been here...its good to be back

So I'm heading to Bangkok for a couple of days next week... and I wanted to know where I could get good paper. Mostly mulberry unryu and other nice stuff to get back to real folding :mrgreen:

It should be a lot cheaper than the exports...I'm guessing. Plus I hear Nicolas Terry's store gets a lot of his paper made in Thailand. Please let me know how I can get my hands on some good paper, in Bangkok

Cheers
wriggles

Re: Unryu in Thailand

Post by wriggles »

I've never been to bangkok but there's probably an arts/craft store in every big city, you can always ask someone if they know of a near by paper shop if you speak the language well enough. Or you could try looking for a Thai website/ forum and ask there. Be sure to include a picture of the paper if you're using google translate so they understand you visually at least.

From what I've seen online: http://voices.yahoo.com/best-places-buy ... 47235.html
there's a list of shops selling art paper in bangkok, and cheap too apparently =D
oswalakhil

Post by oswalakhil »

For anyone this is useful for

In Bangkok, hit the MBK mall ( Everyone knows it) Theres a Huge Department store by the name of Tokyu. spreads from 2-5 floor I think..and I believe 2nd(or 3rd) is reserved for stationery. When I asked for Unryu, no one seemed to know, I almost gave up then found rolls of beautiful paper in a corner (hard left immediately after entering from the second floor) and it turned out to be Unryu! The staff woman called it "Tissue paper"

At 22 Baht a sheet, it was a steal. We picked up at 40 odd sheets. Also there were some thick(machined, not handmade) papers on the side, which are also very good for folding. So hope this is handy for anyone visiting Thailand, as no one local I asked seemed to know what I was talking about :P

Cheers :)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Nice! =D Thanks for the info, I'll have to write this down somewhere =)
Unryu is the japanese term for that kind of tissue paper, I don't know a lot about thailand but they might only call it mulberry tissue there.