Durable paper substitute

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Wuggums47

Durable paper substitute

Post by Wuggums47 »

I had an idea to make a mural out of origami butterflies in many colors by using adhesive to stick them to a wall. Is there any substance that folds well that I could use like paper and then stick on an outdoor wall? If it comes in multiple colors, that would be optimal.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
dragon

Re: Durable paper substitute

Post by dragon »

If the butterflies aren't too complex, you could make then out of thin sheets of plastic, if you can find some. The ones like candy wrappers, just a bit thicker.
Although you would have to use glue to make sure that the plastic doesn't come apart. It can be a bit (very) springy.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

This could be a stupid idea, but we used to use heat guns to bend plastic at my grandpa's sign shop. Maybe you could somehow heat up the creases as you work with it, sort of like wet folding...but not really lol.
I used to fold origami out of thin sheet metal with one of the sheet metal benders at that shop aswell, but that's probably a bit extreme for what you're aiming for.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

There's this really awful plastic folding paper called "Origami made from Poly". It is thin, comes in a variety of colours and is foldable but really a horror to fold with. Here's an Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/x/dp/B00CODM3QU
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

Thanks for the responses. I think that thin plastic sheets or the "Origami made from Poly" Might be good, even if it has been described as a horror to fold with.
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
Edg

Post by Edg »

One thing to remember when installing anything out side is the ultimate destructive power of our friendly neighbourhood thermonuclear explosion. If it ain't UV stable, it will break down and lose its colour over time. I work on a nursery and anything plastic like pots and plant trays go brittle and discoloured after a year or two in the sun, and they're designed for being outside! Makes you marvel at how awesome melanin is! :) Anyway, you can get UV stable paints and sprays (something like this..http://www.amazon.co.uk/UV-Resistant-Ac ... B004BPYVKA and I'm guessing car paint is. Maybe that will work?
JWorigamist

Post by JWorigamist »

Check this out: http://www.langorigami.com/art/gallery/ ... -sculpture Dr. Lang made that one out origami model out of metal. How about you try folding aluminum sheets? You can find them at a hardware store. I haven't tried it out yet but I am sure you would have to wear kevlar gloves. And then you would be able to paint it whatever color you want.
Ouch! Are you okay? Well...let's see.. advanced box-pleating techniques, Satoshi Kamiya, yeah I'm good. If you fall down nine times get up ten times.
Edg

Post by Edg »

Not even Dr. Lang can fold stainless steel...that sculpture is cast, I'm afraid :)
steingar

Post by steingar »

The copper flashing materials used for chimneys and other roofing chores are readily available and amenable to folding relatively simple models. The stuff is as indestructible as it gets, but one comes in one color.