Is this paper suited for the black forest cuckoo clock?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Wuggums47

Is this paper suited for the black forest cuckoo clock?

Post by Wuggums47 »

I've never ordered paper from this site before, and I have a few questions. Link here : http://www.uline.com/BL_1951/Kraft-Paper-Rolls
Does anyone have experience with this paper is it thick or thin? for the black forest cuckoo clock Would being to thick be a bad thing? I've heard lang makes this model out of Elephanthide. Does it hold a crease well? Are the sizes in inches or centimeters? On one hand I doubt they make 6cm paper rolls, but on the other hand 60 inches seem equally implausible. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
marckrsh

Re: Is this paper suited for the black forest cuckoo clock?

Post by marckrsh »

The first thing I noticed is that it is monochromatic. I like the color changes that Robert Lang made for his model. Kraft is not my favorite paper (at least it is cheap), but it often comes with a contrasting color on the other side. - Marc
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

I folded this model from both kraft and elephant hide. The kraft was too thin and I didn't like the final model.
I'd recommend elephabt hide painted with acrylic paint on one side.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You needn't order such a big roll to fold the cuckoo clock. The first one I folded was from gift wrap paper (that actually was Kraft paper with Christmas print on one side). The second one was made with the foil rolls Nicolas Terry sells in his shop. And the third one I made with double Tissue Paper.
So just for a trial I would recommend you to go to your next hobby or paper or office store and check out their gift wrap section. They most probably have kraft paper rolls with different colours on both sides. I'd also recommend you to stick with the recommended paper size of 16x160cm, as both bigger and smaller gets more complicated. So if you get a roll that is 2 meters long that's more than sufficient.
I liked the shaping abilities of the Terry foil paper, especially when it comes to keeping the model closed in the end. So this paper would be my second recommendation, if you want to spend a bit more money on good paper.
Wuggums47

Post by Wuggums47 »

Even if not for the cuckoo clock, does anyone know what this paper would be good for? It seems very cheap for a good quantity. Would it fold well for anything? Is it like the Kraft from Origami shop?
Be who you are, do things because you want to do them, and stop caring what others think. Then you'll be happy.
Life is Origami

Post by Life is Origami »

I tried this model yesterday with some regular wrapping paper and just felt weird to fold this model with. Anyway, If you've ever seen kraft paper before ( It's used a lot in elementary schools.) It's thin and strong. I've been on http://www.wonko.info/365origami/ a few times and wonko, a fellow member of snkhan.co.uk, uses kraft for most of his folds.
We all have gone very far from folding the crane.