When to cut square for wet folding

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Edg

When to cut square for wet folding

Post by Edg »

Most advice I've come across says you need to cut your paper square after moistening the paper, to counter the expansion of the sheet. However, in Advanced origami by Michael LaFosse, he states you need to cut the paper square first, then wet it, as it will return to its original proportions when dry. I've only used the second method (I get in a panic about the sheet drying out... no time for mucking about :lol: ) and have no problem folding with altered the proportions, but find it hard to get any kind of symmetry in the finished piece. Just wondering what other folders experiences/advice may be regarding this? Is it just personal taste or perhaps more dependant on the model? I know paper type will be a factor in this, so any suggestions of which papers change a lot/little would surely be helpful. The Murano paper I often use seems to deform very little whereas some Lizard hide paper I tried really changed proportions (more than 5mm on a 20cm sheet) Sorry for the rambling post :oops: Thanks in advance