Need Tissue Foil Paper.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
CurlyCrescnt86

Need Tissue Foil Paper.

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

I've been searching online lately, and I really need some tissue foil paper for the model known as simply the "Eagle", designed by Nguyen Hong Cuong. I live in the USA, so the tissue foil is hard to get online. Does anyone know a site where I can get some? Thanks in advance guys!

Also, if theres another paper type that works well for Nguyen Hung Cuong's Eagle, Let me know!
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
This is my first non intoductory post, and if theres anything I can to improve my posts pease let me know! I'm always ready to improve!
Last edited by CurlyCrescnt86 on July 8th, 2014, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Origami is truly elegant.

Email me at hgss649@gmail.com
steingar

Re: Need Tissue Foil Paper.

Post by steingar »

I don't know anywhere in the US it can be bought, but if its made here its probably expensive since it involves lots of handwork. Making it is really easy, though. Go to your favorite dollar store and get a large thing of aluminum foil (the stuff at the grocers is thicker and won't work as well). While you're at it get some tissue paper, whatever color floats your boat. Stop at the hardware store and get some spray adhesive, I've used Krylon from 3M to good effect.

Go somewhere with a big table and lots of ventilation. Hose down the foil with the adhesive (mind you it will stick everything to everything, so put down some newspaper). Place the tissue paper on it with some tension, so you don't get too many wrinkles. Spread it out and stick it down with your hands/bone folder/chopstick/ whatever. It is truly easy to make. Lots of threads here on how to cut a good square.

Plenty of folks will tell you to use methyl cellulose or wallpaper glue to make the stuff, I won't disagree and there are tons of thread about that too.

Sorry I can't answer the question you asked. I make the stuff, never thought to purchase it.
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

Well I have a mom and chances are she doesn't want me making a mess ):
(no offense mom :3)

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

It's only a mess if you use spray adhesive. I use a mixture of 1 part water to 1/8 part elmers white glue (super cheap and easy to find all purpose glue)
Just mix it up in a bowl and brush it on your foil. (I tape the corners of the foil down first), then lay the tissue paper down on top of it, and brush over top one more time to seal the deal. (keep brush wet to prevent tearing the tissue)
Or if the tissue is thin enough, lay the tissue on top of the foil first and then brush the mixture over both of them.
You can also add paint to the glue mixture, but as the bubbles in the tissue collapse it will leave bubble paint marks making it look like a piece of metal =D I usually paint the tissue after it has dried.
Make sure the mixture isn't too thick or the tissue will crack as you fold it. If it's too thin the tissue will lift off the foil at the corners (I just glue the corners back down with a glue stick).
Here's the piece that looks like metal, I added black/blue paint to the glue mixture:
From my experience:
Glue stick tissue foil-- Easy to make, just spread it on the foil, slap the tissue on top. The foil doesn't fold well though. It works, but has zero paper folding properties.
Methyl cellulose-- Good luck with that lol. I've folded a couple models this way, and it was a long and frustrating process getting the tissue to stick well enough to fold it. Even then it was trying to peel off as I folded it.
Elmers white glue-- I use this exclusively for all my tissue foil now. It increases the paper folding properties by alot and the tissue stays on the foil well.

I havn't tried wall paper glue but I assume it's like any other wood/white/all purpose elmers glue.
I tried spray glue but only as a way to make the paper shiney afterwards, it warped the paper a bit but seemed to work fine. It was very messy and very smelly though, even outdoors It wasn't pleasant.

Sorry for the wall of text lol, hope I helped somehow.

EDIT: I just read wall paper paste is a form of methyl cellulose http://www.papiermache.co.uk/articles/p ... che-paste/
If that's the case I don't even want to try it...
Mixing MC with elmers white glue might fix the problem with the mixture puddling on the foil before laying down the tissue though, I'll have to try that out.
Last edited by wriggles on August 5th, 2014, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

If I'm going to lowes any time soon, you helped :D

CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

I just made my first piece, one tear amid the foil and like 8 lines of air pockets, but hey its my first try :3

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: I just made my first piece, one tear amid the foil and like 8 lines of air pockets, but hey its my first try :3
Wait you tore the foil or the tissue? what caused the foil to tear?
If the tissue is tearing a lot you can find thicker tissue at some stores. I found some tissue at Target that won't tear no matter how rough I get with it :P
It's a bit tricky knowing when to stop brushing the air bubbles out. The only time it tears on me is when I get too picky about brushing the bubbles out. Usually most of the bubbles sink and disappear as it dries.
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

Well The Glue Was Making The Tissue Paper Rip After That Post And The Rip In The Foil Was a Mistake In Preparing The Foil

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

What kind of brush are you using? My paper always tears if the brush is too small or too brittle.
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

A site you could try is origami-shop. They do worldwide shipping of many papers including tissue-foil.
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

wriggles wrote:What kind of brush are you using? My paper always tears if the brush is too small or too brittle.

like 1.5 inch tall and 2cmwide tip.

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: like 1.5 inch tall and 2cmwide tip.
Sounds fine as long as it's not too stiff =)
origamifan11 wrote:A site you could try is origami-shop. They do worldwide shipping of many papers including tissue-foil.
How long have they had tissue foil? I don't remember them having that =O
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

A while. Definitely over a year (when i first discovered the site).
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
ETMOrigami

Post by ETMOrigami »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: Also, if theres another paper type that works well for Nguyen Hung Cuong's Eagle, Let me know!
Sara Adams from happyfolding.com used double tissue paper.
-Ethan Martin,
the friend of any origamist

My flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

wriggles wrote:
CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: like 1.5 inch tall and 2cmwide tip.
Sounds fine as long as it's not too stiff =)
origamifan11 wrote:A site you could try is origami-shop. They do worldwide shipping of many papers including tissue-foil.
How long have they had tissue foil? I don't remember them having that =O
it is worth noting that the tissue foil that terry sells is not tissue foil in the traditional sense of the term.

excepting tisseufoil.com's brief existence, tissue foil is not something that you can buy. there are tons of threads on how to make it.

if one is looking for the specific paper properties of tissue foil, what terry sells is not really an alternative. it is just another "okay" paper to try. while relatively thin and malleable, it does suffer from thickness issues in complex models, the way real tissue foil doesn't. for instance, if you go to the paper tree in san francisco, they have an ancient dragon and cerberus on display that are not display worthy--they are splaying very badly, something that doesn't happen with tissue foil you make yourself, though that is subject to wear. who folded these? kamiya himself. if the master himself can't make a perfect model out this paper, you're gonna have some trouble, too.

that said, some folders have had excellent results with terry's tissue foil--nguyen nam son comes to mind--with lots of gluing and painting. but this again raises the question of dumping lots of money on a paper, when you can take some other inexpensive ones and paint and glue the stuffing out of that instead.