Need Tissue Foil Paper.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
CurlyCrescnt86

Re: Need Tissue Foil Paper.

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

wriggles wrote:
CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: like 1.5 inch tall and 2cmwide tip.
Sounds fine as long as it's not too stiff =)
origamifan11 wrote:A site you could try is origami-shop. They do worldwide shipping of many papers including tissue-foil.
How long have they had tissue foil? I don't remember them having that =O
Oh and also its a circular tip not like a rectangle or anything
Origami is truly elegant.

Email me at hgss649@gmail.com
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

bethnor wrote:
wriggles wrote:
CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: like 1.5 inch tall and 2cmwide tip.
Sounds fine as long as it's not too stiff =)
origamifan11 wrote:A site you could try is origami-shop. They do worldwide shipping of many papers including tissue-foil.
How long have they had tissue foil? I don't remember them having that =O
it is worth noting that the tissue foil that terry sells is not tissue foil in the traditional sense of the term.

excepting tisseufoil.com's brief existence, tissue foil is not something that you can buy. there are tons of threads on how to make it.

if one is looking for the specific paper properties of tissue foil, what terry sells is not really an alternative. it is just another "okay" paper to try. while relatively thin and malleable, it does suffer from thickness issues in complex models, the way real tissue foil doesn't. for instance, if you go to the paper tree in san francisco, they have an ancient dragon and cerberus on display that are not display worthy--they are splaying very badly, something that doesn't happen with tissue foil you make yourself, though that is subject to wear. who folded these? kamiya himself. if the master himself can't make a perfect model out this paper, you're gonna have some trouble, too.

that said, some folders have had excellent results with terry's tissue foil--nguyen nam son comes to mind--with lots of gluing and painting. but this again raises the question of dumping lots of money on a paper, when you can take some other inexpensive ones and paint and glue the stuffing out of that instead.
this is kinda irrelevant because origami shop doesnt ship to america

Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote:this is kinda irrelevant because origami shop doesnt ship to america
They do ship anywhere you ask.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: this is kinda irrelevant because origami shop doesnt ship to america
you got me. all of us posters who have been getting stuff from terry for years in the US before you joined this forum were just putting on a front for him. :roll:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Here's the tissue I mentioned that was found at Target:
This stuff is INDESTRUCTIBLE!
I used it the first time I tried making tissue foil with methyl cellulose, and I had to re-wet the paper 3 times to make it "foldable"...*sigh*. I peeled the paper off the foil while wet, stretched it, and even put the brush down and applied the glue with my bare hands =O
The paper is very opaque as well, so you can barely see the foil behind it. The dolphin on my flickr page is the model I folded with that sheet if you want to see it =P
Last edited by wriggles on July 20th, 2014, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edg

Post by Edg »

That dolphin looks great. Hard to believe it's tissue foil...very clean folding!
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Edg wrote:That dolphin looks great. Hard to believe it's tissue foil...very clean folding!
If you look closely at the tail fin you can see the foil under the layers =)
It only looks clean because of the tissue. It was so strong I was able to rub out any unwanted creases with my thumbnail. I got super aggressive with it and it showed no signs of tearing 8)
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote:I've been searching online lately, and I really need some tissue foil paper for the model known as simply the "Eagle", designed by Nguyen Hong Cuong. I live in the USA, so the tissue foil is hard to get online. Does anyone know a site where I can get some? Thanks in advance guys!

Also, if theres another paper type that works well for Nguyen Hung Cuong's Eagle, Let me know!
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
This is my first non intoductory post, and if theres anything I can to improve my posts pease let me know! I'm always ready to improve!

I figured it out- I cant fold it because my paper is 6in. I thought it was .44 of the paper in length, not the wingspan, sorry guys ):

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Yeah 6" is a bit small. Not to say it isn't possible though, with a sheet of single tissue with methyl cellulose sizing + MC end shaping and a pair or tweezers =P
CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

k, Ill check it out

CurlyCrescnt86

Post by CurlyCrescnt86 »

Kabuntan wrote:
CurlyCrescnt86 wrote:this is kinda irrelevant because origami shop doesnt ship to america
They do ship anywhere you ask.
But I dont have foregn money :/

wriggles

Post by wriggles »

CurlyCrescnt86 wrote: But I dont have foregn money :/
If they ship worldwide they probably have more than one currency option.

I just tried out more colors from my collection of Spritz paper, and it looks like only the blue colors are indestructable =( The white tissue tore on me and the red ended up being bleeding tissue! What a bummer >.<
That blue stuff is amazing though..