MC/ Methyl Cellulose and Related Questions

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Life is Origami

MC/ Methyl Cellulose and Related Questions

Post by Life is Origami »

I recently discovered the uses of MC in origami and have a good number of questions. :?:

1. I can't find MC in my house so I used some Elmer's White Multi-Purpose Glue. Which is better?
2. Is MC in any everyday objects or stuff you can find in your home?
3. Where can I get MC?
4. How would you apply MC to a finished model?
5. Would you apply MC while folding the model or after?
6. What type of models would you apply MC? (tessellations, action models, modular, ...)?
7. Should I put paint in the MC/ Elmer's Glue solution or paint the paper after?
8. Is MC better for tissue foil?
9.Is MC better for double tissue?
10. I was reading Advanced Origami by Michael LaFosse and for wet-folding, after applying water with a spray mister, you must brush MC over the paper. Is this necessary?
11. How to paint paper is also included in the book. You must mix liquid acrylic polymer emulsion ( what is this?), acrylic paint and MC. Is the MC and liquid acrylic polymer emulsion necessary?

Please answer as much as you can. Questions 1-5 are the ones I really want answered.
We all have gone very far from folding the crane.
shortloldude

Re: MC/ Methyl Cellulose and Related Questions

Post by shortloldude »

Life is Origami wrote:I recently discovered the uses of MC in origami and have a good number of questions. :?:

1. I can't find MC in my house so I used some Elmer's White Multi-Purpose Glue. Which is better?
2. Is MC in any everyday objects or stuff you can find in your home?
3. Where can I get MC?
4. How would you apply MC to a finished model?
5. Would you apply MC while folding the model or after?
6. What type of models would you apply MC? (tessellations, action models, modular, ...)?
7. Should I put paint in the MC/ Elmer's Glue solution or paint the paper after?
8. Is MC better for tissue foil?
9.Is MC better for double tissue?
10. I was reading Advanced Origami by Michael LaFosse and for wet-folding, after applying water with a spray mister, you must brush MC over the paper. Is this necessary?
11. How to paint paper is also included in the book. You must mix liquid acrylic polymer emulsion ( what is this?), acrylic paint and MC. Is the MC and liquid acrylic polymer emulsion necessary?

Please answer as much as you can. Questions 1-5 are the ones I really want answered.
You can find almost all of this information pretty easily with the search tool or google...

1 for double tissue mc is better
2 depends on what kind of stuff you do around the house but probably not
3 check home improvement stores or paint stores or even easier, online. Just search if you still need help
4 with a small paint brush.
5 usually around the steps where you are at the base and start shaping if you mean using mc to finish a model.
6 whatever models you want to stay in place. Really any type of model can be enhanced with mc if you are using a paper that can utilize it.
7 mix the paint with mc before you fold. Doubt it'd work the same with Elmer's glue
8 pure mc doesn't stick to aluminum foil from what I understand.
9 yes. Mc makes the paper crisp and stronger. Glue is just glue
10 spraying water isn't always necessary
11. I am not sure but I know Tadashimori had a YouTube video about painting paper and mc
Please, add me on flickr and tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53465278@N02/
wriggles

Re: MC/ Methyl Cellulose and Related Questions

Post by wriggles »

I use elmers paper mache glue, you can find it in any store with arts and crafts for really cheap (in america that is). Pretty sure methyl cellulose is the only ingredient.