Wrapping Paper Models

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Life is Origami

Wrapping Paper Models

Post by Life is Origami »

I was planning to fold the Bull Moose by Robert Lang and saw some nice wrapping paper. I didn't have larger paper at the time so I decided to use it. I never got to finish because the paper got so thick and it didn't hold creases well. I didn't use MC to help because I didn't have some at the time. So, I want to know any models that are great with wrapping paper, if there is any. I doubt there is any because how poorly it held creases when I folded the Bull Moose.
We all have gone very far from folding the crane.
Life is Origami

Re: Wrapping Paper Models

By the way, has anyone tried using wrapping paper coated with MC. I recently made it just to experiment with paper I had lying around the house. I also made "wrapping foil"(wrapping paper+foil+wrapping paper). I won't use it yet though.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

I tried the giftwrap paper and foil once. Didn't turn out too bad... but not too pretty either...
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Try intermediate too high intermediate models with the wrapping paper and stay away from boxpleated design they tend get thick very fast
Life is Origami

roodborst, I had just made Lang's Organist with red wrapping paper. The model is box-pleated and it looks nice. I also put some MC on it to stand correctly. It wasn't a big problem because Lang designed the organ to be springy like the wrapping paper I used. Also, the model doesn't get very thick like others. A while back, I folded Satoshi's Phoenix 3.5 with a paper that I made because I was bored. It was a "wrapping double tissue"(wrapping paper+tissue=tissue). The paper was horrible to fold. It got too thick and didn't stay together.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

It is a few years back that I tried it so I guess some bp models do work! Maybe MC doesn't work on wrapping paper? Or try spayglue and use a single sheet of tissue?
Since you can make large squares from most gift wrap papers it would be interesting too see if it works.
Life is Origami

The reason I use MC, roodborst, is because I don't have spray glue.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

If it is actually paper - as in cellulose fibers, then MC should work fine. If it is the type that is more foil or plastic of some sort, then I doubt MC would have much effect.
Life is Origami

Is Lang's Black Forest Cuckoo Clock suitable for wrapping paper?