Iridescent Shadow-Fold Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
DavidW

Iridescent Shadow-Fold Paper

Post by DavidW »

I just tried this paper for the first time. It really is fantastic for bugs. Thin, takes a crease well, and looks shiny without being gaudy.

Any one else like this paper?

Here is my example fold:

The paper is a bit loosy goosy and I wouldn't see it being good for models that require alot of shaping, but for bugs it is terrific.
Last edited by DavidW on August 16th, 2014, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Folderfugate

Re: Iridescent Shadow-Fold Paper

Post by Folderfugate »

I too have purchased this paper. I love folding with it, it's very thin and very strong. The shinier part uses, as far as I can tell, a very fine glitter which doesn't come off during folding. One of the advantages of folding with this paper is that when you make a sharp crease, it doesn't show white on the edges because the paper has been dyed all the way through. My only wish is that it came in bigger squares! [-o<
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

It is available in sizes up to 60 cm. I don't think that was the case when I first bought it, and if that's the same for you, look again! You can now buy large shadow-fold paper!

What models do you like folding with it?
Folderfugate

Post by Folderfugate »

Oh wow, really?? That's great! I will look for that. Well I was folding Kamiya's Ancient Dragon, by I messed up on a few creases, and after trying to fix the wing a few times, it finally gave up and ripped on me. Looking to reattempt it here soon in the next couple of days. I will post a picture up when I finish the redo.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I bought several sheets at the recent CenterFold convention (having never heard of it before, and since it seemed to be good for bugs), but I tried to fold a tiger beetle from it and still haven't gotten a good result a week later. It seems to require MC for shaping, which I still have to learn to use effectively.
Also, the collapse was a pain even though precreasing was easy.

Maybe I just used it for too complex a model on my first try, but I have yet to see much value in the shaping aspect of using the paper.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Yes it keeps wanting to unfold itself in the beginning.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

How well does it work for supercomplex insects?
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

From my experience, its usefulness depends on how well the model’s layers lock together. I haven’t tried to MC it, however.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr