Paper for peat moss pot?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Acorn Man

Paper for peat moss pot?

Post by Acorn Man »

So my brother is into gardening, and he saw a tutorial for making peat moss pots out of news paper (they aren't actually made of peat moss, they just serve the same purpose). He also says that peat moss pots don't rot away. So is there a type of paper that will rot quickly? I don't think news paper is an option because of the ink. That's another thing, it has to be safe for plants. This isn't really an area that I know much about. I suppose a sort of compostable paper may work. Thanks for your help!

BTW, peat moss pots are little pots for small plants. They are supposed to melt away as the plant grows. This is so they can be grown inside until they are ready to be grown outside.
I finally got it to say something under my posts!
HankSimon
Buddha

Re: Paper for peat moss pot?

Post by HankSimon »

Lots of trivia:
1. "Newsprint" is the term used for blank newspaper.
2. Some newspaper companies are Green, using biodegradable paper AND ink. You have to ask. [See #6]
3. There are papers (such as toilet paper) that quickly decompose in water.
4. I think that paper made of Sodium Carboxyl Methyl Cellulose will dissolve in water.
5. I believe that corn starch is used to make 'plastic' bags that decompose in the sun.
6. Maybe I'm behind the times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SJab0Re2fA
Acorn Man

Re: Paper for peat moss pot?

Post by Acorn Man »

Cool, I'll look for some green news paper companies. Hopefully it works. Thanks!
I finally got it to say something under my posts!