Making Wrinkle-free Double Tissue?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Lephantome92

Making Wrinkle-free Double Tissue?

Post by Lephantome92 »

I was reading the MC thread and found out about using wallpaper paste as a suitable substitute. I bought some, and it works wonderfully, but because I have to dilute it (it's about the consistency of exceptionally thick pudding otherwise), the paper gets wrinkles out the wazoo. It's definitely strong enough with how I dilute it (at least that's what Kamiya's Cerberus demonstrated), but I've yet to figure out a way to get it without wrinkles. I've even tried taking a piece of plastic and scraping that along the paper, but the wrinkles persist. Any thoughts?
(P.S. If possible, I'd like to avoid solutions that typically necessitate buying things online, as I've been somewhat reckless; I'd prefer solutions that, if I need to buy something, I can do it with paper currency)
Malleon

Re: Making Wrinkle-free Double Tissue?

Post by Malleon »

The first cause of wrinkles is when paper is wet, it expands. You might want to try wetting the paper first before putting sizing on it. Try spraying a fine mist of water above the paper to dampen it, then size the paper. After that, try brushing MC radially, from the center to the edge.

Personally, I'm fine with minor wrinkles, really.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

phillip has mentioned this before, but getting wrinkles when gluing two sheets together is almost impossible to avoid. just do the best you can. an old-timer who no longer posts, frumious bandersnatch, says that a rubber burnisher was perfect to remove wrinkles--you can find this in any art store. i've tried it and wasn't impressed. part of the problem is that there is such heterogeneity in what people use to make their double tissue--i feared that if i used the appropriate pressure necessary with the burnisher to remove the wrinkles, the sheet would rip.

i've folded a few models with wrinkled double tissue (and tissue foil, for that matter), and, for the most part, the wrinkles don't get in the way nor impact the final look of the model.
SDScott72

Post by SDScott72 »

I use my bathroom mirror to make my double tissue. 1st I put a single sheet of tissue on the glass using a soft bristled paint brush and diluted Elmers Art Paste. The 2nd sheet I roll up on a tube and while the 1st tissue is still wet I roll the 2nd tissue on top of the 1st. Then I apply another coat of Elmers Art Paste and use a roller brush to smooth it out. Now this doesn't get all the wrinkles out but it sure does a good job.
SDScotty72
Lephantome92

Post by Lephantome92 »

thank you for all of the responses! i had yet to fold anything with my paper before the first post, so i was a little disconcerted to see a lot of wrinkles in the plain paper. it turns out i was just over-analyzing, and the wrinkles aren't all that big. i use a plastic poster frame as a base, so i experimented with gluing the first sheet, then taking a metal dowel and rolling the second piece around that, then push down pretty hard with the dowel to at least minimize the height of the wrinkles. so far it seems to have worked out!