Precreased paper now available

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Foldtastic

Precreased paper now available

Post by Foldtastic »

Precreased tesselation paper is now available.
http://protopaperlab.com
And also at origami shop.
Has anyone tried it yet? How large is the grid? How does it fold?
Jeffery Mewtamer

Re: Precreased paper now available

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I want to try this stuff. If nothing else, the equilateral triangular grid sounds like it might be a solution for my search for easy hexagon blanks, and it should cut down on errors with some repetitive folds. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anyway of ordering the stuff from the provided link, and Origami shop is too generic a Google search to find a specific website. Know any place that sells this stuff and ships to the US at reasonable prices?
Just so you know, I'm blind.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Personally I think it doesn't look to be good quality. I'll stick with making my own grids.

Feel free to try it and prove me wrong though.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Foldtastic

Post by Foldtastic »

Jeffery Mewtamer

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Ended up ordering 5 sheets of A2 of each type, and here are some of my thoughts:

1. It's a misnomer to call this stuff pre-creased. Yes, the perforations make it easy to make long creases that are properly aligned, but if my attempt at making an origami magic ball from a sheet of the waterbomb paper is any indication, you'll still want to pre-crease instead of relying on the perforations to crease themselves as you collapse the model.
2. The perforations tear quite easily, making it easy to trim the paper to a smaller size or to make Triangles, Rhombi, and hexagons from the triangular grid. Does mean the perforations are prone to tearing by accident if they serve as a crease and you put to much strain on them as you're trying to fold a model.
3. The grid size is quite small, which is good if you need a lot of creases close together. Combined with the paper itself being fairly thick, I wouldn't suggest trying to add creases that don't coincide with the perforations though.
4. The waterbomb paper has width that is an integer multiple of the width of a single square, but is not of integer length, leaving one end of the sheet with a partial row of squares.
5. The Triangular grid has rows running parallel to the long edge. While one long edge has a row flush against it, the other long edge has an incomplete row of triangles. Naturally, both short edges are comprised of incomplete triangles.
6. Best I can tell, the waterbomb paper has 21 rows parallel to the long edge and 29 and a fraction rows parallel to the short edge, and the triangular grid has 24 and a fraction rows parallel to the long edge and I didn't attempt to count how many triangles are in each row. Note that these numbers are for the A2 size and probably don't apply to the A3 size or any other sizes this stuff is available in.

Overall, I'd say this stuff is decent for any origami or kirigami models that require creases/cuts solely on the perforations, but probably isn't much use outside of that.
Just so you know, I'm blind.
Rippedorigami

Post by Rippedorigami »

They're probably just scored, and not actually folded. It would be so cool if a machine could precrease paper!
idooi

Post by idooi »

I think that making your own grids is fun, and it's a part of the folding process. You can't say "I folded it myself" when you get a machine grid.
The worst mistake you can do

is to be afraid to make a mistake
tuando

Post by tuando »

Do they ship to Vietnam?