Large Two-Colored Paper (White/Color)

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
ShuaiJanaiDesu

Large Two-Colored Paper (White/Color)

Post by ShuaiJanaiDesu »

I was wondering how to make large(~50cm) & thin two colored paper (a color on each side of the paper).

To be more specific, I wanted to make a piece of paper with Pink on one side and White on the other so I tried making double tissue using MC + Pink tisssue + White tissue. But the paper ended up being Pink on one side and Light Pink on the other. (I could barely tell the colors apart) :(

So I have two questions:
- Have any of you had success in making double tissue with White tissue + another color tissue?
(Maybe I didn't make it correctly or I should use different tissue paper)

- Is there any other type of paper I can make/buy with two colors?
(Tissue Foil is an option but personally, I don't like folding with it.)
Baltorigamist

Re: Large Two-Colored Paper (White/Color)

Post by Baltorigamist »

I know a few art stores (namely Pat Catans) sell rolls of what I think is bond paper that are about 4' by 12' if I remember. The only downside is that it's relatively thick and doesn't hold its shape well. It's basically about the consistency of copy paper.

As far as making double tissue, from what I know, you might have more luck with a tissue/foil/tissue sandwich. I've never done it myself, but I think it should work.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

there are a few options.

you can try triple tissue--two sheets of white, one of pink. in general trollip recommends this whenever you want to make a duo paper with one side being white, to keep the darker color from dominating. the paper becomes noticeably thicker than double tissue, however.

you can make tissue foil using nicolas terry foil rolls. glue the pink tissue onto the foil side.

without ever having done it, i would wager the best option is to use quality handmade paper, the white sheet not being too translucent.

another option would be to paint one side of hand-made paper.
valerite

Post by valerite »

i second mc'ing a white-white-color tripple sandwich
ShuaiJanaiDesu

Post by ShuaiJanaiDesu »

Thanks for all the replies :D
Baltorigamist wrote:I know a few art stores (namely Pat Catans) sell rolls of what I think is bond paper that are about 4' by 12' if I remember. The only downside is that it's relatively thick and doesn't hold its shape well. It's basically about the consistency of copy paper.

As far as making double tissue, from what I know, you might have more luck with a tissue/foil/tissue sandwich. I've never done it myself, but I think it should work.
Yeah, I want paper that's pretty thin so copy paper thickness would probably be too thick. The tissue/foil/tissue thickness is pretty good although I don't like the feeling of the foil when I fold but I might try it again.
bethnor wrote:there are a few options.

you can try triple tissue--two sheets of white, one of pink. in general trollip recommends this whenever you want to make a duo paper with one side being white, to keep the darker color from dominating. the paper becomes noticeably thicker than double tissue, however.

you can make tissue foil using nicolas terry foil rolls. glue the pink tissue onto the foil side.

without ever having done it, i would wager the best option is to use quality handmade paper, the white sheet not being too translucent.

another option would be to paint one side of hand-made paper.
valerite wrote:i second mc'ing a white-white-color tripple sandwich
I like the triple tissue idea, so I'll probably try that first.
Yeah, I might also try finding a different thin white paper that isn't so translucent.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

Maybe use a white handmade sheet and dyeing one side pink and another white with acrilique paint.

It just an idea i am recently experimenting with paper.
steingar

Post by steingar »

I have an 18 inch square of pink on white tissue foil sitting in a drawer in the studios of Steinholme. Easy to make too. Don't know what I'm going to make out of it. I was thinking to give one of Suki Kako's dragons a try, but a pink dragon just doesn't seem right.