Applying Acrylic Paint on tissue paper?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
PleatBox

Applying Acrylic Paint on tissue paper?

Post by PleatBox »

So I've been experimenting with acrylic today, bought some acrylics and decided to paint my tissue papers.
The problem though is when I dilute it in mc the paint gets too thin that the color doesn't even stick to the paper, I tried making double tissue, one side is brown and the other side is white, but it didn't work :(
the brown color didn't even showed up in the paper, the white disappeared too. Can you guys give me some tips in applying acrylic paint on tissue paper?
Malleon

Re: Applying Acrylic Paint on tissue paper?

Post by Malleon »

Make it more concentrated, or apply more than one coat.

Also, I noticed that paper crispness is different between the one sized with MC/CMC alone and the one with acrylic paint added. The filler in acrylic paints kind of ruin the crispness....
abnyc

Post by abnyc »

Just guessing, but try sizing the tissue first with the MC solution, and then once it has dried, but before removing it from the glass, painting it with standard water-diluted acrylic.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Use acrylic medium designed for low viscosity. It might make sense to use MC as a sizing agent before coloring paper with acrylics but diluting acrylics with water can result in poor film integrity and adhesion. MC is not a very good pigment binder. I use Golden's transparent airbrush extender which has a viscosity similar skim milk. It is meant to mix directly with Golden High Flow acrylics which are like inks and can be airbrushed.

Alcohol based inks might work well as they are not as likely to distort tissue paper and can be sprayed on.

Various paints and pigments can be mixed with the PVA (white glue) in a technique called paste paint.

Regarding tube acrylic paints:they are pretty viscous and manufacturers caution about diluting with. More than 1 part water in 9 parts paint, whereas the acrylic media are 100 per cent binder. Several manufacturers make fluid acrylics as well as inks.
acrylicpaintstudy

Post by acrylicpaintstudy »

Before using paint on paper, you need to understand how acrylic reacts to them to avoid any setbacks. In most cases, the result will end in cracked paint or bent paper. If the paper is too thin or does not absorb water, it can cause any of these problems. You will also notice that when acrylic paint generally dries, it shrinks, so it is best to use it on heavier paper.
Last edited by origami_8 on December 3rd, 2021, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed because it looks a lot like Spam and got reported by our users. I can't find a promoted product to sell, but agree with our users that it looks like Spam.
faustonader

Post by faustonader »

Paint acrylic on a square onto a piece of plastic slightly larger than your tissue. Immediately cover your painted square with a piece of paper towel. Let it slide into the paint, then pat it gently with your hands. Dust off a coat of paint on your damp paper towel. Gently touch, brush or pat until the paper is covered. Add another layer of paper towels over your wet paint, patting down like last time. Apply another coat of paint on top, using gentle strokes and patting to completely cover the white of the tissue. When the paint is dry, gently peel it off the plastic.
Last edited by origami_8 on September 13th, 2022, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed, sounds like Spam.
sheeptortoiseorigami

Post by sheeptortoiseorigami »

Sounds like you had a tough time with the painting! Have you tried adding more paint and less water? That might help with the color sticking to the paper. Also, you could try thicker paper or using something like cardstock instead. Good luck and hope it works out for you!
faustonader

Post by faustonader »

My suggestion is instead of diluting the paint with too much water or medium, try using a relatively dry brush to apply the paint. This allows for better control and helps prevent the paper from becoming too saturated or tearing. Moreover, if you find that the paint doesn't adhere well to the tissue paper, you can consider applying a thin layer of acrylic primer or gesso to the paper before painting. This provides a slightly more absorbent and stable surface for the paint to adhere to. Since tissue paper is delicate, handle it with care to avoid tearing or wrinkling. You can place a protective sheet or wax paper underneath the tissue paper to prevent it from sticking to your work surface or smudging.