Large Colored Tissue Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
dinogami

Large Colored Tissue Paper

Post by dinogami »

Hi! - Forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere; I couldn't find anything in my search. I'm curious if anyone in the U.S. knows of a source of colored tissue paper, suitable for making double-tissue sheets, in sizes larger than 20 in. x 30 in.? That's the standard size of sheets that come in the packages at craft stores, but I'd be interested in sizes large enough to make a 60 cm x 60 cm square without having to graft two sheets together side by side. Thanks in advance for any pointers!
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Large Colored Tissue Paper

Post by bethnor »

jerry, as it turns out, i have searched high and low, and it seems that, for the most part, that 20" x 30" is the standard size for most tissue paper.

i have found this, however.

i haven't yet tried, my only concern is that the paper is 21 gsm, so your double-tissue may be thicker than usual. also, i worry that the thickness will require that you use a sandwich technique (i.e., put down one sheet, apply mc, then put the second sheet over it, as opposed to just laying down both sheets and painting it over with mc and allowing it to seep through, the latter approach for me introducing far less wrinkles).

your other option is to go ahead and try some handmade papers, like hanji, which usually comes in > 60 cm widths.
dinogami

Post by dinogami »

Drat...I was afraid of that. :| >>>sigh<<< Ah, well... I appreciate the response, Bethnor! I will consider that Amazon find of yours. I've been experimenting with a lot of different papers recently, including hanji (which I really like for some projects), but like the double tissue for practice and learning models that I haven't mastered yet just because it's a lot cheaper than pretty much all of the other papers out there. I do have large rolls of kraft and tracing papers that I also use for practice, but sometimes the double tissue is nice, especially for its ability to have different colored sides.
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

http://www.mulberrypaperandmore.com/c-2 ... paper.aspx

They have unryu that is 25" x 37" (~63cm x 94cm) in a lot of colors and 37" (94cm) wide rolls in white if you want to spend the money for a whole roll.

Not sure where you are or where they ship to besides the US. I believe they are located in Colorado.

Two pieces of this MC'd together is what I fold almost everything from. It is very strong and relatively thin. I believe that a 60cm piece of this is big enough to fold almost anything from - save maybe some stuff with scales.