Just tissue?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
idooi

Just tissue?

Post by idooi »

It is possible to use only the tissue paper (without the aluminum) to the most complex modals, like the ryujins?
The worst mistake you can do

is to be afraid to make a mistake
Baltorigamist

Re: Just tissue?

Post by Baltorigamist »

I've never tried it myself, but I believe plain tissue paper is far too weak and thin to hold up to much folding. Even with MC, it would either tear or crumple, or both.
I know some people have successfully folded complex models with double tissue, but still, something like the Ryuzin is out of the question without something stronger.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

double tissue is fairly resilient. i don't think anyone has really tried to make the ryujins with double tissue because making such a large square with double tissue is somewhat impractical.
Edg

Post by Edg »

Shuki Kato has a couple of folds on his flickr from single tissue ( Kamiyas Phoenix and Nham Van Son's Two Headed Dragon, I believe) which look fantastic.
This is the link for the paper he used from his photostream.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006 ... UTF8&psc=1
I've tried this paper as double tissue and it's great (nice and strong and bonds really well) but the colour bleeds out like mad when you wet it. Maybe I should have a go with a single sheet... doubt I've got the skills though :lol:
abnyc

Post by abnyc »

Try Pacon's "Kolorfast" tissue. Same stuff, but doesn't bleed.
Edg

Post by Edg »

abnyc wrote:Try Pacon's "Kolorfast" tissue. Same stuff, but doesn't bleed.
Cheers, I might try some of that :)

Thought I'd have a go with some single tissue (un-sized) for a box pleated damselfly I'm working on:
The pre-creasing wasn't much fun due to visibility but after that it was fine. Reversing creases went surprisingly well for such thin paper and it felt quite strong. The base came out very neat (by my standards at least) and shaping was ok despite the softness of the paper
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Does anyone here have experience with treating single unryu? I'm hoping to use some for a couple upcoming models, but I don't want to tear the paper.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

^^^^

bit of a tricky question. if, by unryu, you mean the thai unryu like the ones here, then yes. it can be hard seeing creases and reversing a crease anywhere where there's a large fiber, but it's doable.

i say all this because i honestly don't see the difference between unryu and the mulberry tissue you see on origami-shop, except that the mulberry tissue seems cheaper.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks.
Treating went fine, so now I just have to decide exactly what I'm gonna fold from it.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr