Tissue Foil "Alternative"

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Scoopey

Tissue Foil "Alternative"

Post by Scoopey »

This might be UK only (or might be available anywhere else).

I was having a search round the internet to find something akin to tissue foil on a commercial basis - thought my local hobby craft might have something to fit the bill, but alas no such luck.
Anyhow got bored and did a generalised google search for foil backed paper and discovered "Wilko baking parchment lined with foil", Wilko being the brand named used by Wilkinson stores.
Interested at that I search specifically for Baking parchment with foil and discovered Sainsbury's do a similar item so I picked up a roll this weekend for £2.50 (10m) and it seems to do the trick albeit the paper side is a brown colour which comes out sort of gold due to the foil.

Whilst you might now have control over the paper colour I think its ideal to practice with at a price that won't break the bank.

Regards
Steve C
Baltorigamist

Re: Tissue Foil "Alternative"

Post by Baltorigamist »

This sounds interesting. I've tried Reynold's foil-backed baking paper, but it wasn't very good quality, to say the least. But I'm curious about this stuff. If it's available in the US and not too thick,I might have to get myself a roll.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

parchment foil is the same as "grimoire foil," available at origami-shop, i would wager.

one big weakness to consider before making a purchase is that it is impossible to get this in widths greater than 30cm.

in all honesty, the "best" tissue foil alternative is probably tissue foil using japanese foil.
Edg

Post by Edg »

I'm coming to the end of a roll of foil paper that sounds a lot like this. I'ts been fine for practicing and is thin enough that the 30cm size isn't much of an issue, but the foil breaks at the folds (the paper element seems super strong, though) Reversing creases is exactly as you would expect from very thin, waxy paper backed with foil and it doesn't hold it's shape as well as Japanese foil.
Here's Andrey Ermakov's Moth folded from said paper:
Underside looks like crap, mind you ;)
Scoopey

Post by Scoopey »

That looks good but I must agree, the foil side never looks great!