Splicing Two Sheets of Unryu, etc.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Baltorigamist

Splicing Two Sheets of Unryu, etc.

Post by Baltorigamist »

For my most recent design (a wattle cup caterpillar), I've realized that even the 24" square possible from a standard sheet of unryu will be too small, and anything else will probably be too thick.
My question is this: how do you fuse two sheets together at the edge? I need to do this for the 32+" square my model requires.
I've heard you can simply tear the edges and overlap the sheets slightly, but how much should I overlap them?

Please respond as soon as reasonable; I'm anxious to get the model folded.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
dragon

Re: Fusing Two Sheets of Unryu, etc.

Post by dragon »

I tend to overlap as little as possible when folding, however, the amount of overlap doesn't really make a difference, because the amount of paper that's double the thickness is minimal. I usually glue them together. Spray glue works (just make sure to cover the rest of the paper with something else so as not to get glue on it. A glue stick also works, but it's more likely to make the paper warp a bit (although this isn't really noticeable if you're careful.

I've never heard of this overlapping after tearing though. Ofc I've only recently started doing origami again, so somebody else's input might be better than mine.
Baltorigamist

Re: Fusing Two Sheets of Unryu, etc.

Post by Baltorigamist »

Thanks for the input. The idea of tearing the paper before overlapping, apparently, is to get the fibers to intertwine with each other during the curing process.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
dragon

Re: Splicing Two Sheets of Unryu, etc.

Post by dragon »

Ah, fair enough. That makes sense, although I've never had to do that yet since i've only ever been using double tissue paper.