About making some papers and tissue foils.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
origami_8
Administrator

Re: About making some papers and tissue foils.

Post by origami_8 »

I do it exactly like that:

This of course is no must. Try around, experiment! Find out what works best for you.
For me one sheet of Tissue paper is too flimsy, but the same technique can be used to treat other papers as well, there is no rule that it has to be tissue paper.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

can i use instead of a brush a circle painting roller?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You can try and then tell us how it worked out.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

btw where can i get the methylcellulose? i tried office store and havnt found it. so for the rotary cutter and do you use it with water or straight in?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Ask for wallpaper paste. You get it at the wallpaint section of hardware stores and in the crafts section of office stores. It is a white powder that is mixed with water to get a consistency like egg white. It is the same stuff people use to make Papier-mâché.
bobzomgville

Post by bobzomgville »

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Golden-Harve ... /202535435

this is the exact glue I use. Tim Rickman also uses it for his double tissue models.
He makes a tutorial for how he makes his double tissue papers. It is located here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID_OlcP0EAI
The glue can be purchased at lots of stores, not just Home Depot. Looking through your other posts i think you live in America. I know for a fact that some Staples locations carry it.

As for the rotary cutter question... I don't get your question. I think what your asking is whether or not to wet the paper before cutting. If thats the question my recommendation is don't wet the paper if you don't have to. This will cause the paper to ripple less as it dries. Also, the vast majority of papers will quickly tear once wet so the vast majority of the time, this is a horrible idea. The benefit of the rotary cutter is that its better for cutting wet paper (if you choose to wet fold something) than a knife is. This does NOT mean that its better for cutting wet paper.

Also, try to make your posts more organized and readable and in general more clear. We can't help you if you don't make it clear what you need help with.

Hope that helped! :)
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

origami_8 wrote:Ask for wallpaper paste. You get it at the wallpaint section of hardware stores and in the crafts section of office stores. It is a white powder that is mixed with water to get a consistency like egg white. It is the same stuff people use to make Papier-mâché.
but how can i surely now this is it i assume they will give me something that called wallpaper paste according to their knowledge but is there anything like Methylcellulose on the igridiments or something that can verify it is it?
and bob
so rotary cutter isnt better than a japanese knife when it comes to dry paper? and does scissors better than both of them?
bobzomgville

Post by bobzomgville »

I'm not sure what a japanese knife is, but for the most part, I found that rotary cutters are better in almost any situation. I've found that there are several different kinds of things called rotary cutters. Buy the ones that look like pizza cutters. The downside to rotary cutters is that they require cutting mats and you can't cut on just any surface. If you don't use a mat, the blade will get dull. Unlike scissors, you will also need a heavy ruler, there are things called carpenters squares which are for the most part heavy enough to work.

Do NOT use scissors unless you are okay with your square being not so square. It will often be inaccurate if you do so as the edges will have tiny waves in them.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

Thanks a lot man . And japanese knife is the normal knife most people use. And as for the cutter. Should i get the bigger circle ones or the small ones? And can it cut tissue papers properly or its good only on foil?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

roodborst wrote:Those are alot questions:

2) Always use tissue-foil-tissue. Just foil-tissue doesn't look that good.
for the record, if you use japanese foil or the nicolas terry foil rolls as the "foil," you can just use tissue-foil.