About making some papers and tissue foils.

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
TootyFruty

About making some papers and tissue foils.

Post by TootyFruty »

1) what is chlorinated tissue paper?
2)if i use silver foil paper (normal one) will it still be seen by the tissue paper that I put on it and if yes is that a really big deal? since silver isnt that conspicuous and if i use as you mentioned a single tissue paper on a one sided colored japanese foil on the white side, will it be seen by the tissue foil (the white side) and will it be foldable regarding the uglyness of the foil papper (i mean will japanese foil color side of the paper is ugly too or only silver one?
3)can i fold complex models with just foil?
4) is it always like that that tissue foil has 2 sided colors? like blue and green for example without white face like most papers? i mean the tissue foil people make on their own and if it doesnt have to be like that, how can you make it like normal paper with one side white and other colored and will it work? and do you sell white tissue papers for that need?
5) can i use methylcellulose to paste the foil paper with the tissues papers or only spray glue is good?
6)I got this glue from office depot called white craft glue, can it be used instead of spray glue and methyllcellulose or it has to be written methylcellulose or only instead of one of them or cant be at all.
7) how exactly can tissue paper be used alone ? you spread methylcellulose on 1 tissue layer and wait it to dry and then fold it?
or you need triple tissue papers with methylcellulose?
and last one
8) does this paper cutter: http://www.origami-shop.com/en/origami- ... -2509.html can be used professionally to cut squares or better off with ruler and scissors?

please answeer to all of it
and comment only if you know what you are talking about.
thanks. a lot.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: About making some papers and tissue foils.

Post by roodborst »

Those are alot questions:
1) not sure
2) Always use tissue-foil-tissue. Just foil-tissue doesn't look that good.
3) no. Foil by itself folds terrible
4) You can all the variations you want.
White-foil-color
color-foil- other color
White foil white
All of that should work out fine.
5) Mc doesn't work with tissue foil. It will not stick together. Use spray glue or whute glue ( with water) and a small paintroller or brush
6) For making tissue foil I thibk it should work fine. When it is thick like toothpaste, add some water.
8) Making double or triple tissue is different then making tissue foil. Now you must have MC. Use water until it looks like snot. Use a brush or paintroller on a flat surface. Place one piece of tissue on it. Put a second piece on top; use the roller for another layer of glue with mc. Wait 8 hours until it is complely dry or else it will tear or bubble. Do not use white glue! It will just stick to the surface.
8) not sure, but siccors and rulers work fine.
9) use the search button on the top of the page. The are a bunch of threads/ topics to go more undept into the questions you got.
Greetings roodborst
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

thanks a lot man and i got one more quick question:
why nobody here is ordering from origami-shop? they got like the best papers out there
thanks again
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

3) what about japanese foil is it any different you know with one color sided?
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

I have done this 3 times i lost all the text with tapatalk :( but i will do again:

See the next videos:

https://m.flickr.com/photos/136211935@N07/20804197183/

https://m.flickr.com/photos/136211935@N07/21601293882/

https://youtu.be/zLHeRecwFyc
https://youtu.be/MROF94-0ulA
https://youtu.be/IdiPD5zY5GI

1) i dont know
2) it will be seen in complex model like ancient dragon but in simple ones like yoda it wont.
3) No.
4) i have seen all you mention in stores and also it can be made at home.
5) i only have tried spray and it work very well.
6) i dont know you should try. We do that in this origami world.
7) you can do all you mention. I have done double tissue. I spread mc on the first layer and put a second one without mc on the first one. Wrinkles are not a big problem.
8) No no and no. I think it a bad idea and also cutting like the photo in works terrible to me. It a mess the line is not well. I strongly recommend you buying a OLFA cutter is really awesome. I met an architect and he told me to try it, i think is the perfect cutter.

That all :) [emoji1] gook luck
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

One addition about the cutter. I would recommend you to buy a rotary cutter and not the one from the first picture in the previous post, I agree that Olfa is a good brand. The reason is, that rotary cutters do not ripple the paper together like the normal cutters do. That way you can also cut thin and wet papers.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Origamishop is pretty expensive compared to making your own paper. I spend around 100 euro for all the stuff needed for making double tissue. Now I can make enough paper for the next 10 years or so.
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

What you need:
- Glass or plexiglass or a large mirror or any large flat surface.
- aluminiumfoil ( cheap supermarket stuff will do fine)
- white glue for tissue foil. Wallpaperpaste or something with MC base for double tissue.
- Small paintroller. Or a wide paintbrush too apply the glue.
- Tubes. Plastic, cardboard or metal. I use pvc- pipes from the hardwarestore
- sciccors or a cutter.
- A ruler could be usefull.
- Tissue paper. ( there a are two kinds. Stuff that bleeds through when wet, makes it harder to make two color paper, but you can make interresting colors and stuff that doesn't).
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

origami_8 wrote:One addition about the cutter. I would recommend you to buy a rotary cutter and not the one from the first picture in the previous post, I agree that Olfa is a good brand. The reason is, that rotary cutters do not ripple the paper together like the normal cutters do. That way you can also cut thin and wet papers.
is olfa = rotary? if not can you give me a link please.
thanks
Kundalini

Post by Kundalini »

"Olfa" is a brand, origami_8 said rotary cutter is better than the normal cutter because it can be used without problems in wet sheet. For me it is enought the tipical cutter because i cut in dry paper
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

so if i use dry sheet olfa will be enough? and what in ur opinion the best tool for cutting squares?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The best tools for cutting paper are a self healing cutting mat, a metal ruler and a knife.
Olfa is a brand that sells usual cutter knives as well as rotary cutters. Just search for "rotary cutter" on Google and you'll get lots of links.
For getting exact squares I went to the next building centre and let them cut the cheapest wood into square stencils. You can of course measure every time but it is so much more convenient to have stencils of the most common sizes I use.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

so knife is better than a rotary cutter?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

A rotary cutter is a knife with a round rotating blade. It is better suited to cut thin papers, moist papers and papers that contain aluminium foil like for example tissue foil.
TootyFruty

Post by TootyFruty »

can you explain me something, the tissue you make with mc is one layer or 3? or 2? and let's say its 2, then you spread mc on one layer and then put the other one on it and it will make it foldable even without foil? and will those 2 layers be glued strong enough by the mc? since i heard its better spray glue for that matter
thanks.