Very Large Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Nepafarius

Very Large Paper

Post by Nepafarius »

So I wanted to make my Crown model big enough so it could be worn. This means the length of the paper should be about 145cm give or take, in order to fit on my fat head. My question is what paper of that size is there that is closest to tissue foil, which is what I am used to working with. I found a nice looking paper, but it was not nearly long enough http://www.origami-shop.com/en/deluxewa ... -7406.html

I'm still working on the model, I want to create an ornament for the to and increase the size of the red "cloth" component, which may change the dimensions slightly and make it easier to find paper, but for now 145cm is my estimate.

Any suggestions?
Baltorigamist

Re: Very Large Paper

Post by Baltorigamist »

That comes out to over 5', which I don't think would hold its shape under the sheer weight no matter what kind of paper you used. E.g., for paper that's about 100g/m^2, the sheet would weigh roughly 210 grams, which is almost half a pound. Anything thinner would crumple under its weight, and anything thicker might be too hard to manage.

I don't know of any paper that comes in 145cm rolls, but I know some art stores carry 4' (about 120cm) rolls of relatively thick two-colored banner paper.
Thicker is actually better in this case, as far as I know, but it will be difficult to cut it accurately and manage the sheet.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

I could probably make it work if I use a wire frame. What do you think?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

If you're okay with it, then by all means.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr