Terry Tissue Foil Tearing

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
ZachHam

Terry Tissue Foil Tearing

Post by ZachHam »

Hi everyone, new to this forum.
Anyway, treated myself to some new paper this Christmas, thought I'd try out VOG Pearl and Terry Tissue Foil.
Anyway, I tried folding the Lava Wyrm from 50 hours of origami, and the Smilodon from Works of Satoshi Kamiya, and both instances, the paper split at the points/reared in certain areas. I don't normally get this when I fold with Kraft, and I fold with Tant usually fairly successfully. I'm a neat folder, and have folded both of these models before, with much less issues then the terry tissue foil.
I like the feel of it a lot, but this is relatively frustrating. Anything I'm doing wrong, or is just how the paper is?
Maybe I'm handling it wrong?
bethnor
Buddha

Re: Terry Tissue Foil Tearing

Post by bethnor »

it's not you. there's always the possibility of a few defective sheets.
anonymous person

Post by anonymous person »

I have experienced what the original poster describes. Terry tissue foil is very stiff and does not respond well to folds that put the paper under a lot of tension. Closed sinks can rip the paper even more easily than when using Japanese foil. I would advise folding such steps more slowly and trying to be as sympathetic as possible.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

From my experience it also depends on the colour you use. They are not very consistent in quality, some are softer, some are crisper, some are thicker, some are thinner... It is a good paper but it has its flaws. I've also heard from other folders who ordered different batches that you can also have a big variety of properties within the same colour depending on the batch. So sometimes you are lucky and sometimes not so much.
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

Hello ZachHam,
I can confirm the experience described by you and the other writers.
While I hade no problem with the brown and blue tissue foil, the white paper (all from the same order) was much more crisp and easily teared at the creases or split when folding many layers.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the bottom line is this. there is no paper that is going to be perfect right out of the package.

really, the "perfect" paper for its money is double tissue, which you can't buy anywhere and have to make for yourself. but the sooner you do it, the more money you'll save in the long run.
ZachHam

Post by ZachHam »

Hey everyone, thanks for the response.
I used some other colours other then the black 10 pack I have, and I've had a much better experience.
It's honestly very peculiar, as the red sheets feels completely different to the black, and i'm surprised they are even labelled as the same product.
It feels much thinner and had no issues tearing, unlike the much thicker and less sturdy black sheets.
I still feel annoyed however at the inconsistency between sheets, I'm worried about my other colours now.
I've had good luck with the blue and the red, but I also have green and a sort of brown to try too.
Wish me luck!