Advice for making tissue foil?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Arcana

Advice for making tissue foil?

Post by Arcana »

So, I tried to make tissue foil for the first time yesterday.

Hard emphasis on "tried," as this was the end result:

A terribly wrinkled mess that could hardly be worked with. I tried to make something with this anyway, but obviously, it fell flat in the end. Folds seemed to never line up properly, creases that I made quickly vanished amongst the wrinkles, and the model got more and more lopsided as I went on until I finally gave up.

So, my main question for now is, how do I make tissue foil while eliminating the wrinkling in the tissue paper? I used the "watered-down and rolled-on glue" method for this, so should I try to use a spray-on adhesive, instead?
roodborst
Forum Sensei

Re: Advice for making tissue foil?

Post by roodborst »

It appears it was to wet. It should not be very wet for tissue foil. (For MC double tissue it can be wet). This is my method.
White glue and a bit of water. Paintroller, small (10cm long, 2cm thick or so).
Take a roll of foil and lay it on the table. Give it a push and let it roll. Cut it of gentle with sissors. Lay the roll on the the piece of foil. Just 2mm overlapping. Roll out again and cut. Now apply glue. Leave a couple of cm's free of glue on the top and bottom parts. Now the hard part. You should have your tissue paper ready on a plastic pipe. (From the hardware store. Pvc for electric cable shall do fine). Roll 1cm or less of the roll. Now try to put the corners down first. Try to get this as straight as possible. Slowly roll out the paper over the foil. This should keep wrinkles to a minimum. Now use the pipe and roll it over the paper a bunch of times taking out any airbubbles and small wrinkles. Use the part of the foil without paper and glue to turn the paper over. Again gentle. This could mess up your paper. Use the pipe again on the other side. Apply glue on this side and repeat the process. Now hang it out to dry. The foil without glue should make this easy. Be warned that watery colored glue might drip on your floor. Make sure it is really dry. Cutting it to fast ruins your paper.
Now for the cutting. If you got it, use a square (wood Plastic etc.) And use either a sharp knife or sissors. I do the easy way. Cut entire sheet in half. Fold 45 degree angle as far as it will go. Fold another 45 degree angle alining with the first. Cut a straight line. Not the most accurate I must confess but it works for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

If glue drips from your foil, you applied definitely too much.
The layer of glue I apply to my foil is so thin, that it only makes the paper moist but not wet when I roll it on. That way I also get hardly any wrinkles.
steingar

Post by steingar »

To be honest I've always used a spray glue to really good effect. The only disadvantage I see is that you have to spray outside. It folds differently than tissue foil made with liquid glue, but I would not argue its inferiority.

Tissue foil made with liquid glue is crisper in my hands, and folds just a bit better. But I've noticed a definite tendency to crack and tear not seen at all in my tissue foil made with spray glue. Indeed if I make tissue foil again (I am in no way convinced that I ever might do so, but you never know) I'll use the spray glue.
Arcana

Post by Arcana »

...oh, boy, am I late with this response.

I tried the roller method a couple of times last month, but wound up getting the same results that I got the first time. So, that seems to just be a "me" issue that I need to iron out.

But, I did try the spray glue method next, and got much better results than before:

...ignore the spray-on patches on the black side, I kind of ripped those spots after my fingers got stuck to them. But, this did give me my first-ever tissue foil model (Hydralisk v1, by Kang Hyun Seok): X X X

So I may stick with spray glue now that I know that it works, but if rolled glue works best, I can keep using these tips and taking shots at making it work correctly. Thank you all for your advice.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

another way to reduce wrinkles is putting the tissue directly onto the foil using a large, flat object, such as a board, cutting mat, or book. lay out the foil. flatten the tissue on top of it. put the flat object on top of the foil, and pull the edges around as taut as you can. then lift up the flat object with the tissue wrapped around it. apply the glue to the foil surface, then press the tissue onto the foil. remove the object, then flatten out the tissue as best you can.

one has to keep in mind that some wrinkles are almost impossible to avoid no matter what you do.