Using MC and CMC on Tissue Foil and Unryu

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Geckonavajo

Using MC and CMC on Tissue Foil and Unryu

Post by Geckonavajo »

I have a few questions regarding the use of MC and CMC on origami paper

1. Considering the chemical names of the products, do they serve the exact same purpose?

2. Using an MC or CMC coat, can I bind two Unryu papers together and create a usable Origami paper?

3. Using MC or CMC, can I bind an Unryu paper to aluminum foil, or do I need a different type of glue?
a. Also, is it possible to Unryu on both sides of the aluminum foil to get a multi-color Tissue foil?

4. Using MC or CMC, can I bind an Unryu paper to a Tissue Foil paper to get a multicolor paper?

5. Using MC or CMC, can I bind two Tissue Foil papers together?

6. For what Origami is Unryu paper better, and for what origami is Tissue foil better?
Baltorigamist

Re: Using MC and CMC on Tissue Foil and Unryu

Post by Baltorigamist »

I can't speak for tissue-foil, but unryu can be backcoated to itself (or just about anything else); the only downside is that it becomes thick even with a large square. Foil would probably show through it as well.
If you want thin duo paper, you can make double-tissue--though different brands of tissue vary considerably as far as strength is concerned.

In my experience, unryu is great for anything really complex that has a lot of layers. However, it tends to soften a lot if you maneuver it too much.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

MC is great for glueing papers together so that they feel like one sheet. For everything that includes Aluminium Foil you need a stronger PVA based glue like f.e. "Metylan Ovalit T" (a glue for metallic wallpapers).
Splunge

Post by Splunge »

Geckonavajo wrote:1. Considering the chemical names of the products, do they serve the exact same purpose?
Sorry, I can only speak for MC. But I think MC and CMC are both very close and should serve a very similar purpose.
Geckonavajo wrote:2. Using an MC or CMC coat, can I bind two Unryu papers together and create a usable Origami paper?
Yes, you can. Two sheets of Unryu paper will become quite thick and stiff, though. But it's still suitable for not too complexe models, like animals with color change fur.
Geckonavajo wrote:3. Using MC or CMC, can I bind an Unryu paper to aluminum foil, or do I need a different type of glue?
a. Also, is it possible to Unryu on both sides of the aluminum foil to get a multi-color Tissue foil?
No, MC will not stick to aluminium foil. You will either need spray adhesive or special wallpaper glue for metalized wallpapers. Have a look at this video from Sara Adams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROF94-0ulA
I've used the method from Sara several times for tissue paper and also once for Unryu. But as Baltorigamist already wrote, Unryu with foil (especially two sided Unryu foil) will become thick and also very stiff. And the foil will shine through even more than with tissue paper. But sometimes this may be a wanted effect.
Geckonavajo wrote:4. Using MC or CMC, can I bind an Unryu paper to a Tissue Foil paper to get a multicolor paper?
As said before. MC will only work if you glue paper to paper.
You mean Unryu paper glued to "tissue paper - foil - tissue paper"?
Though it should be possible, it will be rather thick and stiff.
But of course you can use the above mentioned method to glue one sheet of Unryu and one sheet of tissue paper on each side of the foil.
If you want a color change with Unryu and tissue paper, you can still glue them together directly with MC, not using any foil at all. I recommend to past MC on a flat surface (glass or acryl), place the Unryu on it, paste it again with MC, place the tussie paper on it and apply a final layer of MC.
Geckonavajo wrote:5. Using MC or CMC, can I bind two Tissue Foil papers together?
You mean something like "tissue paper - foil - tissue paper" glued to "tissue paper - foil - tissue paper"?
Never done this and technically it should be possible as long as you use the MC only to glue the tissue paper together. But I expect, that more than one sheet of foil will make the paper nearly unfoldable, unless you are looking for a very simple model.
Geckonavajo wrote:6. For what Origami is Unryu paper better, and for what origami is Tissue foil better?
Here is my experience so far:
  • single Unryu paper: very soft and will need significant amount of MC to become foldable. The uneven distribution of fibres may be a challenge in some places. This paper qualifies for complexe models with a fur or feather like texture
  • double Unryu paper: like the above, but the paper is more thick and stiff. On the other hand, you can do a color change model. Though it cannot be as complexe as with a single sheet of Unryu paper.
  • single tissue paper: very thin and sensitive. Will also need a lot of MC ot be foldable. Due to its thinness it's suitable for very complexe models
  • double tissue paper: very common paper for complex and very complex models. It's a good tradeoff between thickness, crispness and strength. And you can do a color change.
  • tripple tissue paper: in case of a high contrast between front and back side of a color change model, it may be necessary to add a second sheet of the light colored paper to avoid a shining through of the darker paper.
  • Unryu paper with single or double tissue paper: a good tradeoff between double Unryu and double tissue paper. Color change with fur like finish on one side, but not too thick.
Note: for all of the above papers MC can be used to shape the details of the final model
  • (double) tissue foil: Suiteable for up to complexe models, but multiple layers in complex models may become difficult to fold. Due to the foil, the final model is easily shapeable, especially larger curved surfaces.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography