Folding advice for Origami Shop Discovery packet?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
DavidW

Folding advice for Origami Shop Discovery packet?

Post by DavidW »

I received some papers to try with my latest Origami Shop order.

I think I decided I would fold Komatsu's Squirrel with the Golden River paper. And I would fold Hagiwara's Baby Elephant with the elephant hide.

But I don't know what to fold with the rest, any ideas? Here is what will remain:

24 cm: ocher biotope, black Rouketsu, light gray Lizard, white Tant, ivory Yohishi

20 cm: yellow Korean hanji (does this require MC?), green unryu hanji (also MC?), coffee tissue foil
DavidW

Re: Folding advice for Origami Shop Discovery packet?

Post by DavidW »

No one? No advise? What do you typically fold with those types of paper?
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I'm afraid I'm not very knowledgeable in the different qualities of paper. I use kami, kraft, or sketch paper for pretty much everything and they serve me just fine.

However, I will suggest to wait on applying the MC to the hanji sheets. You can always add it on after or during folding, but you can't remove mc if you put too much before folding.

Sorry if I'm not that helpful. I'm also pretty sure that there's already a thread out there called "what to fold," where people ask exactly what you're asking, but I couldn't find it.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

NeverCeaseToCrease wrote: However, I will suggest to wait on applying the MC to the hanji sheets. You can always add it on after or during folding, but you can't remove mc if you put too much before folding.
Oh I didn't know that, thanks for telling me. I assumed it had to be applied before folding.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I think that's to make the paper crisper and keep the creases better. Personally I have not found a use for that, and more often than not the mc ends up wrinkling the paper. I use mc as a shaping glue, after the model is folded.

Although, I know there are lots of people who apply mc before folding. Maybe they can help you out.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Yes, the hanji and unryu require MC.
Crease is right in that the purpose of MC is to make the paper feel crisper and take a crease better. You need a sheet of glass or acrylic (or something that won't absorb the MC) first. There's actually a whole topic devoted to MC under General Origami Talk, so I'd suggest reading through that.
As far as what to fold, you might get a better response in the topic Crease mentioned. It's in General as well, albeit maybe a couple pages back.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Baltorigamist wrote:Yes, the hanji and unryu require MC.
As far as what to fold, you might get a better response in the topic Crease mentioned. It's in General as well, albeit maybe a couple pages back.
I've taken your advise and cross-posted but with 117 views on this thread, I don't see that will help. There seem to be alot of lurkers but not many active posters on this forum.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I folded Diaz' Bullfrog out of the lizard paper.

ImageDiaz' Bullfrog by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

This is what I think of the paper:
It is thick, but not like elephant hide. I would say that it is similar to tant but perhaps slightly thinner.

It takes a crease quite well, and reversing is also easy. It fatigues easily resulting in the paper softening.

I discovered this because I've never folded this model before and had to play with the paper quite a bit a couple of times before I figured out what to do. So again this paper is like tant which also fatigues easily.

It holds 3d shapes very well and the texture of the paper does make it perfect for reptiles and dinosaurs.

I would describe this paper as essentially tant but with a reptilian skin like texture.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

ImageHagiwara's Rhinoceros and Elephant by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

More sample paper! The Rhino is folded from 24 cm golden river leather and the elephant is folded from 20 cm elephant hide.

Both models are found in the recent JOAS magazine and NOT in Hagiwara's book Spirits of Origami.

I've folded from elephant hide before, usually wet folding. Dry folding all the way I have to say I don't know if I ever want a paper to be really that stiff. Unless 3d polyhedra maybe?

That golden river was new for me. I love it! Exceptional paper, it has the right thickness and stiffness to really give volume to models but it is not as thick as papers like elephant hide. It really feels just slightly thicker than vintage kami (which itself is slightly thicker than normal kami).

This golden river paper is slightly thinner than tant and lizard. And it doesn't fatigue like those papers do. I think that if I'm willing to double the recommend size to beat the thickness of the paper (but still have the stiffness and texture) I would have a great paper for even complex models. I'm going to buy more!
Tahaorigami

Post by Tahaorigami »

DavidW wrote:
Baltorigamist wrote:Yes, the hanji and unryu require MC.

Does the mulberry paper require MC treating if I'm folding any model...like phoenix 3.5?
Merlyngami

Post by Merlyngami »

Tahaorigami wrote: Does the mulberry paper require MC treating if I'm folding any model...like phoenix 3.5?
Yes, I'd definitely recommend treating the paper with MC before folding. Otherwise you'll find the paper to be soft and not hold a crease or its shape very well.