Mariano Zavala's Paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
AnKor

Mariano Zavala's Paper

Post by AnKor »

Does anyone know where to buy paper Mariano Zavala uses for his models? He says that it's tissue paper on the Youtube channel, while his site claims silk paper as a material. I looked for both and couldn't find anything with that kind of texture.
Splunge

Re: Mariano Zavala's Paper

Post by Splunge »

Tissue paper and silk paper is probably the same. At least in Germany tissue paper is sold as "Seidenpapier", which translates to "silk paper".

Judging from the pictures the paper Mariano Zavala uses seems to be either custom made tissue paper or it has been colored before (and maybe also after) folding.
I doubt that exactly this paper can be purchased anywhere.

Indeed a beautiful paper and it probably takes a lot of practice to produce something similar, in whatever way.
splunge.de - Origami, Papercraft, Scale models, Photography
SeekerKuba

Post by SeekerKuba »

From what i have observed Mariano is using two types of paper, first one it is classic dobule tissue with MC.
The second one, and those are only mine suspicion, used for models from above, looks like tissue with PVA glue, at least the top layer.
Somewhere on web ppl are writing about 50% water 50% pva glue ratio when they are talking about Sirgo Paper.
My tissue ( cheap ) was extreme soft what i was making tissue foil so i cannot even imagine what should i do to to make Sirgo paper, and what should be sequence to make it double or even triple like Mariano is doing...
Should i moisten tissue before applying pva glue or...?
Any ideas/tips?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

It reminds me of Vietnamese Dó paper, though I don't think it's the same. (I've never used Dó myself, so I don't know its properties.)
Textured tissue is probably the most likely option.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr