What's the best paper to fold without glue or pre-treatment?

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
mrhoangtuanori

What's the best paper to fold without glue or pre-treatment?

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

Dear origamists!
What is the best paper to use without glue or pre-treatment ?
In some 4-5 years ago, when I was newbie in the art, origami paper in Vietnam was rare, so hard to find a fine piece of paper to fold without treatment. At that time, Crumpled Paper was the most used, but it is not strong enough for complex models. Dó was still not more than a painting paper, if you like to fold it, you would have to treat them skillfully.
But how can a newbie do these skillful technique when they are just new?
I thought about that question many, many times at the beginning. We always want to spead the art, so that anyone can know it, can do it. But when a newbie meets a hard problem, we tend to say "do it yourself, make it yourself, learn it by yourself !".
That's been a big problem that I used to have and almost all young new members of origami society in Vietnam are having. They cant even find a shop to buy paper now.
For that reason, I've been developing a shop for selling my papers made using my own experience and recipe . I tried to give to my customers the best papers that they want, tried to develop the papers at high level as possible.
The papers, that a young student can buy (or sometimes I gave them free papers for their good result in school studying) , the papers that a newbie can fold without using any hard technique like processing with MC, or making duo tissue, .... The paper, that a non-experience person like an old lady, can do a beautiful origami.
I also made papers, that can be folded well without glue, like Ricy Tissue, Duo Foil, Processed Unryu or Hotudo Dó papers, ...
All of the above are for just one reason - for helping and spreading the art.
You can see my shop here: https://etsy.me/2DXg14z
And as I wrote, you dont have to do any thing, any treatment before folding my papers, even without glue or water.
You can see a model folded by Henry using Ricy Tissue here: https://www.facebook.com/13860057916200 ... 502564034/
Tankoda

Re: What's the best paper to fold without glue or pre-treatm

Post by Tankoda »

Biotope and TANT paper are both very good for this purpose. Similar papers except for thickness and maybe texture. TANT is thicker, and less suited to very complex models, but it does have a very nice texture and can still handle some complex models. Biotope is amazing. Can handle very complex models, and both fold very nicely. Neither require treatment or glue, and both look fantastic and professional.
Japanese foil is another good option, very well suited to complex and very complex models, no treatment or glue needed. It holds its shape very nicely being a foil. The biggest downside is that the final model doesn't look as nice as the Biotope or TANT because one side of the foil is a flat white and the other is metallic. Still very good for test-folds and in some cases final folds.
mrhoangtuanori

Re: What's the best paper to fold without glue or pre-treatm

Post by mrhoangtuanori »

Thank you for the answer, that can help the newbies alot