FearlessFlourish's paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Axom

FearlessFlourish's paper

Post by Axom »

Does anyone have an idea on how he makes this paper?
origami_8
Administrator

Re: FearlessFlourish's paper

Post by origami_8 »

Axom

Post by Axom »

origami_8 wrote:Looks like double tissue to me: https://www.happyfolding.com/instructions-double_tissue
When I make double tissue, I only get one glossy side (the side facing the glass). However, he manages to have the two sides glossy. Any ideas on how?
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

It seems that one of the sides is less glossy. I often obtain a similar result using wallpaper paste (MC). I guess you can get the same level of glossiness on both sides using a plank of glass (or plastic) on top of the double tissue.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

That actually wouldn’t work, as it would give the liquid MC anywhere to evaporate from. Trust me on this—even a layer of foil over the paper has the same effect: The paper doesn’t dry at all, and the prolonged saturation leaves it a wrinkled mess.

By the way, there’s a thread in this very forum for other questions about MC and making double tissue, etc.

Axom -> To answer your question, it’s possible he uses glossy tissue to begin with. There are other options, of course.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

True, putting another plank on top would prevent the paper from drying. An alternative method could be the following:
Paint the glass with glue
Roll out the first sheet
Paint the sheet with glue
Roll the second sheet on top
Wait until it dries
Remove it from the glass
Paint the glass with glue again
Flip over the double tissue and roll it over the glass

This could do the trick

EDIT: It tried and it did not work
Last edited by Origami_Hunt on May 9th, 2020, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleTissue

Post by DoubleTissue »

Do people actually want two glossy sides? I'd much rather have two matte sides, easier to fold and you lose the gloss when you wet shape anyways
FoldSkate

Post by FoldSkate »

He said on youtube that it's different from normal double tissue. He wants to keep his method a secret but he says the paper is shiny on both sides, and the shinyness wont go away after lots of folding or precreasing like it does with normal mc paper. I believe he either sprays each side with something, or makes 2 single tissues, and glues them with spray adhesive shiny side out. He also said that it takes him 2 days to make a duo colored sheet so the process probably involves a few different things that need to dry fully
JOYER

Post by JOYER »

He has a video of the way he makes paper:
https://youtu.be/YOr0TY16zNU
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

That's for double tissue, which is apparently different than the Loopchi
OrigamiasaEnthusiast

Post by OrigamiasaEnthusiast »

This is different than double tissue, and he keeps his methods secret, but some people have figured out how to make it BUT they don't reveal how out of respect to FearlessFlourish. Also, Your link to the video is broken. I think he made a livestream of making it at one point but took it down.I hope he does release the method but highly doubt it because he sells it for like $50.
Tankoda wrote:That's for double tissue, which is apparently different than the Loopchi
Yes, they are quite different.
Last edited by OrigamiasaEnthusiast on May 28th, 2020, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ethics are annoying, I avoid them on principle."-B. Katt
Can't delete account, so I'll open up a new one indefinitely in the future.