Double Tissue paper

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
SaltedRiceGrain

Double Tissue paper

Post by SaltedRiceGrain »

Aight so I wanna make double tissue and already got the stuff except a board to make it on. I’m pretty dry out of money and I don’t have much space to buy a giant sheet of glass or a table or something. Whatever shall I do!! :0
DoubleTissue

Re: Double Tissue paper

Post by DoubleTissue »

Use a window or mirror?
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Sheets of acrylic are fairly cheap. Depending on the size you need, any waterproof surface will work--even dry-erase boards.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I had a similar problem to you a while ago. I ended up going to a garage sale and buying a crappy piece of framed artwork for $2 USD. I threw away everything except the glass.
But then, I found a large slab of wood that was shiny, kinda like furniture, but it was just a slab. It seems to work fine.
I don't know about a window. My parents did not let me because they were worried that if it damaged the window it would cost even more to replace.
If it comes down to it, pretty much anything waterproof or at least not absorbent should work. So maybe a kitchen or bathroom counter.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

I have tried the following:

- A plastic table cover. You can use this on top of your dining table or on top of a board. If you are cash limited, this is your option. The advantage is that you can produce large sheets of paper. The disadvantage is that it may move.

- A slab of laminated plywood from a home store. You can find these in DIY shops too. They are quite cheap. You can also find them in Ikea, often as leftovers. One of them cost me £1.5.

- A clip frame from Wilko. 39 x 27 Inch. £10. It is a piece of acrylic on top of a board. Cheaper than buying the same acrylic sheet from Amazon and you get the board too. It is quite light, so you can store it easily. In addition, it does not break as easily as glass, which is an advantage for large sheets. This is the method I use.

- A mirror bought from a charity shop. A serious disadvantage is that you can break it and cut yourself badly.

- Foamboard sheets. They are also light and cheap, but often you have to buy them in packets.

- A Plastic portable picnic table that I found on offer in a discount supermarket. About £10.

- Of course, you can find all sorts of suitable options in scrap yards.

Hope this helps.