Tissue foil help needed

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Thomas kappa

Tissue foil help needed

Post by Thomas kappa »

I have been trying to make tissue foil with MC, but the paper gets all soapy and a big amount of ink is lost,so I would like to know what is the best way of making it.
Also, when I was younger I tried to make duo tissue foil, but the colors got(obviously) mixed up. Is it necessary to always put aluminum in between, or is there another way? I’m still a bit confused about what is tissue foil, what is sandwich paper,... :?
Thanks in advance
origami_8
Administrator

Re: Tissue foil help needed

Post by origami_8 »

Sara Adams made two very good videos explaining the best way to make Tissue Foil and Double Tissue (without foil).

Thomas kappa

Post by Thomas kappa »

Thank you, although I am wondering if adhesive spray would work too
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Yes, it does, but the paper then has different properties to the one made with liquid glue.
If you make tissue foil with spray glue, the properties of the foil are more prominent. Making it hard to reverse creases. On tissue paper made with white glue the paper properties are more prominent, for that reason I like this paper better.
If you use methylcellulose (MC) to make double tissue, the result feels like one crsip sheet of paper. The paper bonds together so good that you don't feel that it has been two sheets of paper before. If you use bleeding tissue though, you will have a pretty hard time getting duo-coloured paper. That's no problem if you use non-bleeding tissue paper or spray glue. With spray glue however the result will feel like two sheets of paper glued together. It will be rather soft and don't take creases as good as if you use MC.
Even though I prefer the papers that are shown in the videos, there is no right or wrong in Origami. Spray glue does have advantages, as you can also use it on bleeding or textured paper without loosing colour or texture. What works best for you, you have to decide for yourself. There are also people who use glue sticks to stick their paper together, fast and dirty with the risk of ripping your paper if you aren't careful enough, but it works. I've also heard of people using a special glue that sticks when you iron the paper, also interesting and worth a try.
In the end you will have to try for yourself what you like best. But my advice is to give the techniques in the videos a try, they are well-tried and result in very good folding papers. But also experiment, maybe you find something that works better for you.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

Hi Thomas,

If your problem is that the paper is too soggy, you may need to use a more concentrated MC solution.
If your problem is that you want to make double tissue with two colours, you need to use foil or to buy non-bleed tissue paper. I have not used the later yet, but you can buy it from Amazon; just search for "non bleed tissue paper".
steingar

Post by steingar »

I started making tissue foil using a recipe from a folder friend from Pennsylvania. Best tissue foil I've ever folded with bar none. Happy to pass on the recipe if anyone wants.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Sure, I'd be interested!
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I am interested as well
Generoso

Post by Generoso »

I'm also interested in the formula
steingar

Post by steingar »

Reprinted with permission from Kathy Stevick

Low odor tissue foil
I mix 2 teaspoons of MC (Methyl cellulose) with 1.5 cups of warm water. Like jello it is best to stir it for a minute or more, then let set it will become clear and thin jello consistency( I wait a half hour). Then I add a 4 ounce bottle of regular elmer's/school glue and two bottles of warm water. Shaking it to get as much of the glue out of the bottle as possible. Stir well. If it sits too long you will need to stir it again. I use a large foam brush (4" wide) to apply the mixture to the foil.
First of all I iron my tissue sheets usually two at a time, probably should do one at a time because sometimes it causes wrinkles on the lower sheet but I do not have the patients for that and three at a time usually cause me problems. Don't drive yourself crazy the tissue foil will have wrinkles what ever you do.
Using your tissue as a guide cut your foil about 2 inches longer, this is so that you will be able to go over the area you need with your glue mixture so the edges are completely glued down.
Let me say here that I buy 18" wide regular foil from Sam's club. Otherwise mostly only heavy duty foil is that wide. I have found that heavy duty foil from the dollar store and it is not as heavy as heavy duty foil bought at the grocery store.
!!! Touch the foil as little as possible. !!! Handling it may leave skin oil on the foil and repel the glue mixture. Sometimes the beginning and end of foil also repels the glue. Although there is no way of knowing until you put the glue on it.
Lay tissue over foil.
Now you can rub the tissue and the foil under it to smooth it some.
Put little weights top and bottom of tissue about half way left and right. I have quilting weights but when I just had to make tissue foil after I had packed up my supplies for the convention I used smooth rocks.
Fold tissue over weights exposing the foil under about half of the tissue. When I do this I have one of those tools for smoothing wall paper that I have on the tissue so that the right hand layer of tissue is laid on it when it is folded over to the left. When this is done on the next side it elevates the tissue over the now wet tissue foil that may try to "grab" it. Again when I was making tissue foil without my normal tools I used an empty giftwrap roll to elevate and it worked just fine.
Apply a thin coat of the mixture onto the foil with the foam brush. You will need to develop a knack for how much is “enough”. Thick tissue like gold and silver need more, flimsy needs less.
Carefully lift the tissue back over the foil trying not to let too many wrinkles form as you lay it over the foil. Swipe it once with the tool or tube to force the air out the end, or it may make a large bubble. With wadded up paper towels smooth the tissue with a light hand. If you used too much glue and the tissue gets too wet this rubbing can pull the tissue off the foil. When you are happy, do the same
thing on the other side. I am really right handed so I pick the whole thing up and rotate everything around so I can do the original left side right handed. This also lifts up the tissue that is sticking to your table. If allowed to sit too long it will rip when it is pulled off. Following the same procedure with the weights set something on the wet tissue to keep the other tissue from coming into contact with the wet tissue when you do the other side. When smoothing it is especially important not to touch the wet tissue foil when you are holding it in place so the whole thing doesn't move as you smooth things down. Doing this can either lift the tissue off the foil leaving a spot that is not adhered or tear the wet tissue. (Push down on the tool or tube or touch the edge of the foil without tissue.)
Set the new one sided tissue foil on the floor (carpet has less tendency to get glued to the foil) to dry.
When dry you can do the other side the same way.
Tankoda

Post by Tankoda »

Wow, I'll have to give that a shot. Thanks for sharing.

Just reading over it, a few bits were tricky to understand, but maybe it will make more sense when I'm actually making the paper.