Making Double Tissue and MC

General discussion area for learning about paper, and the different types available.
Alo

Making Double Tissue and MC

Post by Alo »

I've started to try to make my own double tissue paper and it doesnt turn out quite the way i want it to. I know that there are some tutorials on YouTube for making double tissue but after some watching I still have some questions.
1. How many grams or teaspoons of MC powder do I need for an certain amount of water(ml) and is there any brand that I can buy online that you would recommend ?
2. Does anyone who has experience with making double tissue have any recommendations for a certain brand of tissue paper that I can buy online that works good ?
3. It's there anything else I need to know about as a beginner that is important.
Thanks !
Tankoda

Re: Making Double Tissue and MC

Post by Tankoda »

I usually go 1 tbsp MC to 1 cup water, but it varies per brand
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

I there. Most of the questions have already been answered in the forum: https://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4578 including your questrion regarding brands: https://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14986
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I made a tutorial for double tissue:
https://youtu.be/TQlQxosxmZM

I didn't show how to make mc, but the ratio that seems to work is 1tsp of mc powder to .5 cup of warm water.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

Hi NeverCeaseToCrease,

I see that you paint the glass then the first sheet then the second one. I used to do this but then I discovered that you only need one hand if you line up both sheets before painting them. MC will permeate both sheets. The plus side is that the resulting paper is thinner than if you MC the glass > 1st sheet > MC > 2nd sheet > MC. Have you tried?
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

No, I haven't tried that yet, but the idea of having the mc permeat through is a very interesting idea, i'll give it a try soon
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Hi Hunt,

so I tried out your method, but I'm not sure if I did it correctly. Here's what I did:

glass > MC > first sheet (becomes wet and stretched out, dry on top) > second sheet, dry > mc over the whole thing

It undeniably permeated through, which is handy knowing that tissue can do this. However, because I had placed a normal dry sheet on top of an already expanded first sheet, it caused a lot of wrinkles. Perhaps I am not doing it the right way? if you could write a bit more detail about your method, it seems like it has a lot of potential.
Origami_Hunt

Post by Origami_Hunt »

Hi NeverCeaseToCrease,

Actually, what I meant is to put a sheet of paper on the glass, no MC, then the second one on top, then you paint over the top one. Here there is an example by Sara Adams:

Some people would moist the sheets with water to allow the paper to expand before painting them with MC, but others do not do it. I guess it depends on the paper you use and on your practice. This was discussed briefly in some conventions:

More videos about this here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPsCXK9wnSEIkuGyww1Vc-w/videos
ginshun

Post by ginshun »

I use the no MC on the glass method. Basically just put two sheets of paper on the glass then slop on and spread out the MC until is is totally saturated. It soaks through and when dry you have one sheet.

This method may require more MC, as you really have to make sure it is totally soaked. If you don't put enough on, the two sheets will delaminate. How much to put on depends on the type of paper you are sizing I am sure too.